Use Stokes Theorem to show a relationship

In summary: That's not really a mistake.You are integrating with ##d\mathbf S## which is an infinitesimal surface element.You can either use one or two integral symbols - it means the same thing.
princessme

Homework Statement

Use the Stokes' Theorem to show that

[itex]\int[/itex]f(∇ X A) dS = [itex]\int[/itex](A X ∇f) dS + [itex]\oint[/itex]f A dl

Homework Equations

Use vector calculus identities. Hint given : Start with the last integral in the above relation.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I really don't know how to start doing this. I could understand Stokes theorem when needed to evaluate the circulation, vector and surface, but I don't have any idea on how to start to prove this relation. Please help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any identities? What does stokes theorem state?

ArcanaNoir said:
Do you know any identities? What does stokes theorem state?

The ones that I know are like the ones states in this webpage : http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vecal2.html

Stokes theorem is [itex]\oint[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X F . n dS

Did you know that by convention ##\mathbf n dS## is the same as ##d\mathbf S##?

So what do you get if you set ##\mathbf F = f \mathbf A## and ##\mathbf r = \mathbf l##?

Is there another identity on your web page that you can apply then?

I like Serena said:
Did you know that by convention ##\mathbf n dS## is the same as ##d\mathbf S##?

So what do you get if you set ##\mathbf F = f \mathbf A## and ##\mathbf r = \mathbf l##?

Is there another identity on your web page that you can apply then?

Sorry but I still don't get it..quite confused. How should I actually begin proving it?

princessme said:
Sorry but I still don't get it..quite confused. How should I actually begin my proving it?

Start with [itex]\oint[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X F . dS

What do you get if you substitute ##\mathbf F = f \mathbf A## and ##\mathbf r = \mathbf l##?

I like Serena said:
Start with [itex]\oint[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X F . dS

What do you get if you substitute ##\mathbf F = f \mathbf A## and ##\mathbf r = \mathbf l##?

I'll get [itex]\oint[/itex]fA.dl = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X F . dS

princessme said:
I'll get [itex]\oint[/itex]fA.dl = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X F . dS

Good!
But there's still an ##\mathbf F## in there.
Can you replace that too?

I like Serena said:
Good!
But there's still an ##\mathbf F## in there.
Can you replace that too?

So it will be [itex]\oint[/itex]fA.dl = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X fA . dS

princessme said:
So it will be [itex]\oint[/itex]fA.dl = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X fA . dS

Right!
Actually, let's make that [itex]\oint[/itex](fA).dl = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X (fA) . dS

Do you have another identity on your web page for something like that?
Perhaps something like ##\nabla \times (u\mathbf A)##?

I like Serena said:
Right!
Actually, let's make that [itex]\oint[/itex](fA).dl = [itex]\int[/itex]∇ X (fA) . dS

Do you have another identity on your web page for something like that?
Perhaps something like ##\nabla \times (u\mathbf A)##?

Okay!

Yeah ∇ x (uA) = u∇ x A - A x ∇u

princessme said:
Okay!

Yeah ∇ x (uA) = u∇ x A - A x ∇u

Good!

Substitute?

I like Serena said:
Good!

Substitute?

[itex]\oint[/itex](fA).dl = [itex]\int[/itex] (u∇ x A - A x ∇u ) dS ?

I can see where is this going now..But the original form they wanted is f(∇ x A) dS . so u∇ x A dS is equivalent to that form?

princessme said:
[itex]\oint[/itex](fA).dl = [itex]\int[/itex] (u∇ x A - A x ∇u ) dS ?

I can see where is this going now..But the original form they wanted is f(∇ x A) dS . so u∇ x A dS is equivalent to that form?

Yes.
You were supposed to replace u by f as part of the substitution.

I like Serena said:
Yes.
You were supposed to replace u by f as part of the substitution.

alright. So the it doesn't matter that the f in the original form is outside the bracket and not just stuck with ∇?

princessme said:
alright. So the it doesn't matter that the f in the original form is outside the bracket and not just stuck with ∇?

In this case it doesn't matter. Both forms are the same.
But as a rule, you should read ##f\nabla \times \mathbf A## as ##f(\nabla \times \mathbf A)##.

I like Serena said:
But as a rule, you should read ##f\nabla \times \mathbf A## as ##f(\nabla \times \mathbf A)##.

Okay thank you for the great help!

I like Serena said:

Hi there. I have another question. I realized that I made a mistake on my Stokes' Theorem equation at first. The surface integral should be a double integral. But for the one that I need to prove, it is just a single integral. Will that make any difference to my answer?

princessme said:
Hi there. I have another question. I realized that I made a mistake on my Stokes' Theorem equation at first. The surface integral should be a double integral. But for the one that I need to prove, it is just a single integral. Will that make any difference to my answer?

That's not really a mistake.
You are integrating with ##d\mathbf S## which is an infinitesimal surface element.
You can either use one or two integral symbols - it means the same thing.

Formally, it should be a single integral symbol, since there is only one infinitesimal specified.
It should only be a double integral if your integrating with the infinitesimals ##dx dy## or some such.

FAQ: Use Stokes Theorem to show a relationship

What is Stokes Theorem and how is it used?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field over the boundary of the surface. It is used to calculate the circulation of a vector field over a closed curve in three-dimensional space.

What is the relationship shown by Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem shows the relationship between a surface integral and a line integral, specifically the relationship between the circulation of a vector field over a closed curve and the flux of the curl of the same vector field over the surface bounded by the curve.

How do you use Stokes Theorem to prove a relationship?

To use Stokes Theorem to prove a relationship, you must first identify the vector field and the closed curve or surface that is being considered. Then, you can use the appropriate formulas and properties of Stokes Theorem to simplify the integral and show that it is equal to the other side of the relationship.

What are the conditions for using Stokes Theorem?

The conditions for using Stokes Theorem are that the vector field must be continuous and differentiable on a curve or surface, and the curve or surface must be smooth and oriented in a consistent manner. Additionally, the curve must be closed and the surface must have a continuous boundary.

Can Stokes Theorem be used in any dimension?

Stokes Theorem can be used in any dimension, as long as the vector field and the surface or curve being considered are defined in that dimension. However, it is typically used in three-dimensional space to relate a surface integral to a line integral.