Use symmetry in double integral.

In summary: This example looks to me like the instructor couldn't come up with a decent example of using symmetry, and just grabbed the first thing that came to mind.In summary, the double integral of (2+xy^2) over dA (dxdy) can be evaluated using symmetry since the function is symmetric across the x-z plane. This allows the integral to be reduced to 2 times the integral over the upper half of the region, which is easier to evaluate. However, in this specific example, using symmetry does not significantly simplify the integral.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral of (2+xy^2) over dA (dxdy) using symmetry where R = [0,1] x [-1,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use symmetry to evaluate this.. However if I integrate this integral normally
i first get [2x+2yx^3/3] between 0 and 1. Then i'd take the integral of that between -1 and 1? Where does symmetry come into play? Thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral of (2+xy^2) over dA (dxdy) using symmetry where R = [0,1] x [-1,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use symmetry to evaluate this.. However if I integrate this integral normally
i first get [2x+2yx^3/3] between 0 and 1. Then i'd take the integral of that between -1 and 1? Where does symmetry come into play? Thanks :D

If you let f(x, y) = 2 + xy2, then f(x, -y) = f(x, y). This means that the function is symmetric across the x-z plane. However the graph appears over the upper half of region R is the mirror image of how it appears over the lower half.

Your integral represents the volume of the solid whose base is your region R. The symmetry allows you to find the volume over the upper half ([0, 1] X [0, 1]) and double it.

The only obvious symmetries to me are that the x reflects across the x-axis and the ##y^2## across the y axis. Using either you get ##\int \int(2 + xy^2) dA = 2\int_0^1 \int_0^1 (2 + xy^2)dxdy##; or you can do the same integral dydx, but you could anyway.

Although I am a great fan of using symmetry to dodge work, I don't see how this helps you much. Perhaps there is some symmetry I don't see.

brmath said:
The only obvious symmetries to me are that the x reflects across the x-axis and the ##y^2## across the y axis.
?

The solid whose volume is being found has an upper surface of z = f(x, y) = 2 + xy2. Pretty clearly, f(x, -y) = f(x, y), which means there is symmetry across the x-z plane, as I said in my previous post.
brmath said:
Using either you get ##\int \int(2 + xy^2) dA = 2\int_0^1 \int_0^1 (2 + xy^2)dxdy##; or you can do the same integral dydx, but you could anyway.

Although I am a great fan of using symmetry to dodge work, I don't see how this helps you much. Perhaps there is some symmetry I don't see.

Mark, I think the point is that the new integral to evaluate is literally just as difficult to evaluate as the original one, unless you find calculating (-1)3 to be unusually hard. I don't see any way to reduce the integral more than that though, so I guess it's what they intend you to do.

I agree. I think it's just an exercise to get the student to use symmetry, not that it saves a lot of work. That's my sense at any rate.

Mark44 said:
I agree. I think it's just an exercise to get the student to use symmetry, not that it saves a lot of work. That's my sense at any rate.

I agree with both of you, and think this is not a useful example. There are many good examples where the symmetry would really help, so any students solving it would learn to keep an eye out for symmetries.

Related to Use symmetry in double integral.

1. What is symmetry in double integrals?

Symmetry in double integrals refers to a property of a function or region where there exists a reflection, rotation, or translation that leaves the function or region unchanged. This allows us to simplify the calculation of the integral by taking advantage of the symmetrical properties.

2. How can symmetry be used in double integrals?

Symmetry can be used in double integrals by reducing the number of integrals that need to be calculated. By identifying symmetrical properties, we can use tricks such as dividing the region of integration into parts that are easier to calculate or using symmetry to simplify the integrand.

3. What are the types of symmetry commonly used in double integrals?

The three types of symmetry commonly used in double integrals are even, odd, and periodic symmetry. Even symmetry exists when a function is unchanged when reflected across the y-axis, while odd symmetry exists when a function is unchanged when rotated 180 degrees around the origin. Periodic symmetry exists when a function repeats itself at regular intervals.

4. Can symmetry be used in both Cartesian and polar coordinates?

Yes, symmetry can be used in both Cartesian and polar coordinates. In Cartesian coordinates, we can identify symmetrical properties such as even or odd functions to simplify the integral. In polar coordinates, we can take advantage of the periodicity of certain functions to reduce the number of integrals that need to be calculated.

5. Are there any limitations to using symmetry in double integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using symmetry in double integrals. It can only be applied to functions or regions that exhibit symmetrical properties. Additionally, it may not always result in a simpler integral and in some cases, it may even complicate the integration process. It is important to carefully analyze the function or region to determine if symmetry can be used effectively.