Use tangent to find area of triangle

In summary, the tangent of the graph 1/x^2 at P(2,1/4) forms a triangle with the x and y axis. Find area of triangle.
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

the tangent of the graph 1/x^2 at P(2,1/4) forms a triangle with the x and y axis. Find area of triangle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so f'(x)=-2/x^3

so the slope of the tangent at point 2, is f'(2)=-2/8 = -1/4=mt

now i use the equation of the line to determine x + y intercepts

y=mtx+b plug in point P(2,1/4)
1/4=-1/4(2) + b
b=3/4 (y intercept_)

y=-1/4x+3/4
let y=0
0=-1/4x+3/4
x=3

therefore AreaΔ=bxh/2

where Base = |b| = 3/4
where height = |x| = 3

A=(3/4)(3)/2
A=9/8 units^2I believe this is the correct solution, to me everything makes sense, but I'm just kind of nervous about the area.. 9/8 units i mean i know its possible but i dunno... I'm worried I'm messing my numbers up or something.

***i found a mistake where my slope was 1/4 and it was supposed to be -1/4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plotting your tangent line and the curve on graph paper? Does the tangent line look plausible, and does the old counting-the-squares-inside-the-triangle method give you something like 9/8? I think you are right, but checks you can do yourself always reassure.

You switch between x and t for the horizontal coordinate, and m and mt for the gradient. You seem to come out of it with the right answer (now - I spotted your sign error but when I clicked "quote" it had gone, which caused a moment of doubt of my sanity), so I guess these are typos. Proofreading needed when you're going to hand in for real...

Last edited:
Looks fine to me. Just a couple of things to nitpick:
Plutonium88 said:
so f'(x)=-2/x^3

so the slope of the tangent at point 2, is f'(-2)=-2/8 = -1/4=mt
Change the "-2" to "2" and "mt" to "m".

Plutonium88 said:
now i use the equation of the line to determine x + y intercepts

y=mt+b plug in point P(2,1/4)
Change "mt" to "mx".

eumyang said:
Looks fine to me. Just a couple of things to nitpick:

Change the "-2" to "2" and "mt" to "m".

Change "mt" to "mx".

okay thanks, i already did the recalculation when x=2, not -2, i just forgot to change the function but i edited it back. and i made it y=Mtx+b is that okay?

Ibix said:
Have you tried plotting your tangent line and the curve on graph paper? Does the tangent line look plausible, and does the old counting-the-squares-inside-the-triangle method give you something like 9/8? I think you are right, but checks you can do yourself always reassure.

You switch between x and t for the horizontal coordinate, and m and mt for the gradient. You seem to come out of it with the right answer (now - I spotted your sign error but when I clicked "quote" it had gone, which caused a moment of doubt of my sanity), so I guess these are typos. Proofreading needed when you're going to hand in for real...

yea sorry about that, and yea i did graph it, it just was looking a little tight on if the tangent could reach point 3 but it's definately possible. Thanks for the help and the ideas for checking

FAQ: Use tangent to find area of triangle

1. How do I use the tangent function to find the area of a triangle?

To use the tangent function to find the area of a triangle, you will need to know the length of one side of the triangle and the measure of the angle opposite that side. You can then use the formula A = (1/2)abtanC, where a is the length of the known side, b is the length of the unknown side, and C is the measure of the known angle. Plug in the values and solve for A to find the area of the triangle.

2. What is the tangent function and how does it relate to triangles?

The tangent function is a trigonometric function that is used to relate the sides and angles of a right triangle. It is defined as the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the adjacent side. In other words, it tells us how much the opposite side "rises" or "falls" in relation to the adjacent side. This relationship is important in finding the area of a triangle, as well as in many other applications.

3. Can I use the tangent function to find the area of any triangle?

No, the tangent function can only be used to find the area of a right triangle. This is because the tangent function is only defined for right triangles, which have one angle that measures 90 degrees. Therefore, this method cannot be used for finding the area of an obtuse or acute triangle.

4. What other trigonometric functions can be used to find the area of a triangle?

The sine and cosine functions can also be used to find the area of a triangle, but only in certain cases. The sine function is used when you know the measure of an angle and the length of the side opposite that angle, while the cosine function is used when you know the measure of an angle and the length of the adjacent side. However, both of these methods also require the triangle to be a right triangle.

5. Is it necessary to use trigonometric functions to find the area of a triangle?

No, there are other methods for finding the area of a triangle that do not involve trigonometric functions. For example, you can use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where b is the length of the base of the triangle and h is the height. This method can be used for any type of triangle, not just right triangles. However, the tangent function can be helpful in certain cases where the other methods may not be applicable.

Back