Use Transfer Function to Predict input for desired output

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the input necessary for a desired output time signal using the inverse transform function P2/P1. It is mentioned that this method may not be accurate due to the setting time of each mode in the transfer function. The use of Matlab's lsim() is suggested as a possible solution, but it only works for transfer functions with more poles than zeros. Therefore, it is concluded that determining the input for an arbitrary desired output may require further exploration.
swraman
Hello,

I have a laplace domain system transfer function.

I know I can use (say Matlab's lsim()) to simulate the output for any arbitrary input.

Is there any way (numerically in Matlab or analytically) to determine the input necessary for a desired output time signal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the transfer function is in the form of a ratio of polynomials, P1/P2, then the inverse of the polynomial, P2/P1, is the inverse transformation. The desired output operated on by P2/P1 would give the answer.

Likes berkeman
Is there any way to then determine the input necessary for an arbitrary desired output, if the output is not some function easily described in the laplace domain?

ie. when our desired output is some arbitrary time waveform, can we use the inverse transfer function P2/P1 to determine the arbitrary input needed to generate that desired waveform as the output?

For example, if we capture an impulse (force) and a reaction vinration, we could take FFT(response)/FFT(impulse) and the resulting frequency response function can be used to predict the input necessary for a desired output by:

input_required = IFFT(FFT([response)/FFT(impulse)]*FFT(desired_output))

this is not completely accurate though because it doesn't properly take into account the setting time of each of the modes in our transfer function (it is, after all, a only a frequency response function). But the simple trick that allows us to do this is the FFT/IFFT, which converts between time and frequency domain. There is no such tool (as I know of) for the laplace domain, that would allow us to convolve the outout with P2/P1 transfer function.

swraman said:
Is there any way to then determine the input necessary for an arbitrary desired output, if the output is not some function easily described in the laplace domain?

ie. when our desired output is some arbitrary time waveform, can we use the inverse transfer function P2/P1 to determine the arbitrary input needed to generate that desired waveform as the output?
I would try applying Matlab lsim to the desired output using P2/P1. Of course it is not clear that the result is unique, but it should give you one solution. Other than that, I think you are on your own.

That is what I was thinking, but lsim (and many of matlabs transfer function methods) only works for transfer functions with more poles than zeros.

Related to Use Transfer Function to Predict input for desired output

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an input signal and the corresponding output signal in a system. It is often used in control systems to predict the output for a given input.

How is a transfer function used to predict input for desired output?

A transfer function is used to relate the input and output signals of a system through a mathematical equation. By manipulating the transfer function, various inputs can be tested to determine the corresponding output, allowing for prediction of the input required to achieve a desired output.

What are the benefits of using a transfer function to predict input for desired output?

Using a transfer function allows for a systematic and mathematical approach to predicting the input for a desired output, rather than relying on trial and error methods. It also enables the analysis and optimization of control systems.

What are the limitations of using a transfer function to predict input for desired output?

The accuracy of the predicted input may be affected by errors and uncertainties in the transfer function itself. Additionally, the transfer function may not account for external disturbances or changes in the system that can affect the output.

How can transfer function analysis be applied in real-world situations?

Transfer function analysis can be applied in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and biology. It can be used to design and optimize control systems, predict the behavior of physical systems, and analyze data in various fields of research.