Using a 110/120V Step-Up Transformer for 127V AC to 240V AC

• Thread starter hmb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary, the person is looking for a way to use an electronic device that takes 240V AC in an area where the power supply is 127V AC. They are considering using a step-up transformer but are unsure if the only ones they can find will convert 127V to 254V AC, which is 14V more than the device is supposed to take. Another person suggests that if the supply is 127V when it's nominally 120V, then it should be within the 10% tolerance and the equipment should be able to handle the 254V. They also suggest measuring the supply over a range of times, as it may vary. The person also mentions that they measured their supply some years ago
hmb
Hello,
How can I use an electronic device that takes 240V AC in an area where the power supply is 127V AC? Clearly I need a step-up transformer, but the only ones I can find convert 110/120V to 220/240V. If I use one of these, will it convert 127V AC to 254V AC (twice 127V)? If so, would it be safe for my electronic equipment for me to use it with this voltage (14V more than it is supposed to take)?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Is the 127V AC what you have measured or what is specified by the supply company? If your supply is 127V when it's nominally 120V, then it's well within the 10% tolerance obtained from many suppliers and equipment is expected to deal with a wide range.
That means that your equipment should find your 254V no problem.
If you are very concerned about this you could measure your supply volts (with a 'good' meter, of course) over a range of times. It may well vary a lot and you may have caught it at a high value when you measured it (if you did).
I measured my supply some years ago because light bulbs had a very short life. 'They' came around and put a recording meter on my supply then reduced the volts a tad for me.

Related to Using a 110/120V Step-Up Transformer for 127V AC to 240V AC

1. What is a 110/120V step-up transformer?

A 110/120V step-up transformer is an electrical device that converts low voltage AC power (110/120V) to high voltage AC power (127V to 240V). It does this by using electromagnetic induction to increase the voltage of the input power.

2. Why would I need a 110/120V step-up transformer?

You would need a 110/120V step-up transformer if you are using appliances or devices that require higher voltage (127V to 240V) than the standard voltage in your country (110/120V). This is common when traveling to countries with different voltage systems or using imported appliances.

3. How does a 110/120V step-up transformer work?

A 110/120V step-up transformer works by using two coils of wire, a primary coil and a secondary coil, wrapped around an iron core. When AC power is applied to the primary coil, it creates a magnetic field that induces a voltage in the secondary coil. The ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils determines the voltage output of the transformer.

4. Is it safe to use a 110/120V step-up transformer?

As long as the transformer is properly rated for the voltage and power requirements of your appliances, it is safe to use a 110/120V step-up transformer. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and instructions provided by the manufacturer to avoid electrical hazards.

5. Can I use a 110/120V step-up transformer for any appliance or device?

No, not all appliances or devices can be used with a 110/120V step-up transformer. Some appliances, such as hair dryers or heating appliances, may also require a voltage converter in addition to a transformer. It is important to check the voltage and power requirements of your specific appliance before using a step-up transformer.

Back