Using a 8-1 MUX only (no external gates) to perform digital logic

In summary: You can also use a 4-1 mux and a 2-1 mux to implement a logic function with four inputs and one output.In summary, to satisfy the given requirements of having an output that is true when inputs 1 and 2 are not the same and at least 2 of the inputs 3, 4, 5, and 6 are true, an 8-1 mux can be used to implement a logic function with three inputs and one output. This can be achieved by connecting the logic function inputs to the selectors of the mux and using constant high and low inputs for the mux. Alternatively, a 4-1 mux and a 2-1 mux can be used to implement a logic function
bigoxygen

Homework Statement

Assuming the existence of 6 digital inputs and 1 digital output, design a schematic circuit diagram using any number of 8-1 muxs (i.e. no external gates) to satisfy the following requirements:
 The output is true (1) when (inputs 1 and 2 are not the same) and at least 2 of the inputs 3,4,5 and 6 are true (logic 1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn out a truth table for the mux...

A B C as the selectors

with combinations of 000-111 for 8 inputs

I also attempted to write the boolean equation for the mux...
tried to simulate a mux in Quartus using VHDL and solve it that way (but my VHDL is not very good).

There are so many variables and I do not know exactly which path I should take...

Could you give me a clue?

Also, how do you use a digital circuit to simulate "at least #" are true or false?

Physics news on Phys.org
An 8-1 mux can be used to implement any logic function with three inputs and one output. The logic function inputs would be connected to the selectors. The mux inputs would be constant. If true was high, then each minterm in the sum of products form of the logic function would have a high source connected to the mux input for that minterm. The other mux inputs would be low.

You're supposed to implement a logic function with six inputs and one output. That can be done using multiple logic functions with 3 inputs and one output.

Related to Using a 8-1 MUX only (no external gates) to perform digital logic

1. How does a 8-1 MUX work in digital logic?

A 8-1 MUX, or multiplexer, is a digital logic circuit that has 8 input signals and 1 output signal. It selects one of the 8 input signals based on the value of the select inputs and passes it to the output. This is achieved by using 3 select inputs, which can have 8 possible combinations, to control which input is connected to the output.

2. Can a 8-1 MUX perform all digital logic functions?

Yes, a 8-1 MUX can perform all digital logic functions. This is because it can be used to implement any truth table by selecting the appropriate input signals and using the select inputs to control the output. However, using only a 8-1 MUX to perform complex digital logic can be challenging and may require additional logic gates for easier implementation.

3. How can a 8-1 MUX be used to perform a binary addition?

To perform binary addition using a 8-1 MUX, the inputs can represent the two binary numbers to be added and the select inputs can represent the carry-in bit. The output will then be the sum of the two binary numbers with the carry-out bit being the value of the select inputs. This can be achieved by using 3 MUXs in cascade, with the output of one MUX being connected to the select input of the next MUX.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using only a 8-1 MUX for digital logic?

The main advantage of using only a 8-1 MUX for digital logic is that it simplifies the design and reduces the number of components needed. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and maintenance. However, the disadvantage is that it can be more complex and time-consuming to implement certain logic functions, and may require additional gates for more efficient circuit design.

5. Can a 8-1 MUX be used in higher bit digital systems?

Yes, a 8-1 MUX can be used in higher bit digital systems by cascading multiple MUXs together. For example, to implement a 16-1 MUX, four 8-1 MUXs can be connected in cascade, with the output of one MUX being connected to the select inputs of the next MUX. This allows for the selection of one out of 16 inputs to be passed to the output.