Using a DC source to generate a large magnetic field in a coil

In summary, the project involves generating a large magnetic field in a coil of wire, currently using AC power but considering a DC battery source. The coil has specific dimensions and requires 1050 Amp-turns. The electrical system needs to release current for a short period of time and reverse the current to change the polarity. Other components, such as a resistor, may be needed and there are online tools available for calculations.
PackME
I am a mechanical engineer and I'm working on a project in which I need to generate a large magnetic field in a coil of wire. The current system uses AC power (480V or 230V) and I am exploring the possibility of using a DC battery source.

The coil is has an OD of 72mm, an ID of 62mm and a height of 12mm. I need to generate around 1050 Amp-turns. I am considering using a 12V 30Ah battery.

I need help determining what components I need besides the battery. I need the electrical system to do two main things:
- release the current to the coil for a specified amount of time (< 1sec.) (timed switch?)
- reverse the direction of the current in order to change the polarity of the field (this could be a switch for each direction.

I believe I would need to have some component to dissipate the power once it has traveled through the coil, like a resistor. I'm also curious if there is certain bounds I should keep the resistance and required current within (ei. would a configuration with a coil resistance of 0.2 Ohms and requiring 70A be no good)

I appreciate any insight you can give me, let me know if something is unclear or other parameters are needed.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Using a DC source to generate a large magnetic field in a coil

1. How does using a DC source generate a large magnetic field in a coil?

A DC source, or direct current source, generates a constant flow of electric current in one direction. This current flows through the coil, creating a magnetic field around it.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field generated by a DC source in a coil?

The strength of the magnetic field generated by a DC source in a coil is affected by the amount of current flowing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the core inside the coil. Increasing any of these factors can result in a stronger magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed by using a DC source in a coil?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the current flow in the coil using a DC source. This can be done by simply switching the positive and negative terminals of the DC source.

4. Can a DC source be used to generate a magnetic field in a coil with no core?

Yes, a DC source can generate a magnetic field in a coil with no core, but the strength of the magnetic field will be weaker compared to a coil with a core. This is because the core helps concentrate and amplify the magnetic field.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a DC source to generate a large magnetic field in a coil?

Yes, it is important to use caution when working with high currents and strong magnetic fields. Always follow proper safety procedures and use suitable protective equipment. It is also recommended to keep magnetic fields away from sensitive electronic devices and pacemakers.