Using a "disintegrator" to make square corners?

• Writing: Input Wanted
  • Thread starter Noisy Rhysling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the speaker discusses the use of a disintegrator by the original colonists on P.E.R.N. to create perfectly straight and sharp corners in rooms and buildings. They are unsure how such a machine would be able to achieve this, and asks for suggestions. They also mention seeing a similar concept in the cartoon One Froggy Evening. The suggestion is made to have the disintegrator have a fixed range, ensuring perfect corners every time. Another idea is to use a collimating lens to focus the beam and create tight corners.
Noisy Rhysling
St. Anne of Mcaffrey tells us that the original colonists on P.E.R.N. used some kind of disintegrator to make the rooms and such for the original holds and weyrs. I picture the corners as being razor straight and a perfect cube where walls meet floor. What I don't get is how such a machine might do that. Any reasonable suggests? Any unreasonable ones? I'm stuck. ...---...

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw the same thing in One Froggy Evening.

Just have your disintegrator have a fixed range. Perfect corners, every time.

Vanadium 50 said:
I saw the same thing in One Froggy Evening.

Just have your disintegrator have a fixed range. Perfect corners, every time.
What about when two walls and the floor meet? that "half a cube" area.

I think you could regular corners by just having it a set distance from the wall on its side?

Shy person says "microfocusing the beam." Given a ranging system that would work. Collimating lens to get the corners tight.

Related to Using a "disintegrator" to make square corners?

1. How does a disintegrator make square corners?

A disintegrator uses high-speed rotating blades to cut through materials and create precise square corners. The blades can be adjusted to different angles and depths to achieve the desired shape.

2. What types of materials can be used with a disintegrator to make square corners?

A disintegrator is commonly used with materials such as wood, plastic, and metal. However, depending on the strength and sharpness of the blades, it can also be used with other materials such as cardboard, rubber, and foam.

3. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a disintegrator?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when using a disintegrator. This includes wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, keeping long hair and loose clothing away from the machine, and following proper operating instructions to avoid injury.

4. Can a disintegrator create precise square corners every time?

While a disintegrator is designed to create precise square corners, the accuracy may vary depending on the type of material and the skill level of the operator. It is important to carefully measure and plan the cuts to achieve the desired results.

5. How can I maintain and prolong the life of a disintegrator?

Regular maintenance and cleaning are important for prolonging the life of a disintegrator. This includes sharpening or replacing blades as needed, lubricating moving parts, and keeping the machine free of debris and dust. It is also important to use the disintegrator within its recommended capacities and to avoid overworking the machine.