Using a graphing calculator to solve functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x)= x7-4x5-3x4+4x3+12x2-12/x7 and how to graph it on different intervals. From the graph on [-6,6] by [-6,6], it is estimated that the function has three x-intercepts at approximately -2, 0, and 2. From the graphs on [-1.5, -1.4] by [-10-4, 10-4] and [1.4, 1.5] by [-10-5, 10-5], it is estimated that the function has one x-intercept at approximately -1.45 and 1.45
arl2267
Consider the function:

f(x)= x7-4x5-3x4+4x3+12x2-12/x7

a) Graph the function on [-6,6] by [-6,6]. From your graph, estimate how many x-intercepts the function has and what values they are.

b) Now graph the function on [-1.5, -1.4] by [-10-4, 10-4] and on [1.4, 1.5] by [-10-5, 10-5] From your graphs, estimate how many x-intercepts the function has and what their values are.

c)From your results in part a and b what advice would you give a friend using a graphing calculator to find x-intercepts?

I'm not even sure where to start with this problem. Just looking at part b gives me a headache and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What model calculator do you have? Do you know how to adjust viewing windows on your model?

FAQ: Using a graphing calculator to solve functions

1. How do I enter a function into a graphing calculator?

To enter a function into a graphing calculator, you will need to use the designated function keys or buttons on the calculator. Start by pressing the "Y=" button, which will take you to the input screen. From there, you can enter the equation using the appropriate keys, such as "X" for the variable and "^" for exponents. Once you have entered the function, press "Enter" or "Graph" to see the graph on the calculator's screen.

2. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve equations?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to solve equations. You can use the "solve" function on the calculator to find the x-intercepts or roots of a given equation. To do this, enter the equation into the calculator and press "Enter". Then, use the left and right arrows to navigate to the "solve" option, and press "Enter" again. The calculator will then display the solutions to the equation.

3. How can I adjust the window settings on my graphing calculator?

To adjust the window settings on a graphing calculator, press the "Window" button. This will take you to a screen where you can change the x and y values for the graph. You can also adjust the scale, labels, and other settings from this window. Press "Enter" or "Graph" to see the changes reflected on the graph.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to find the maximum or minimum of a function?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to find the maximum or minimum of a function. To do this, first graph the function on the calculator. Then, use the "maximum" or "minimum" function to find the highest or lowest point on the graph. You can also use the "trace" function to manually move along the graph and find the maximum or minimum point.

5. What are some common errors that can occur when using a graphing calculator?

Some common errors that can occur when using a graphing calculator include entering the wrong equation or function, using incorrect syntax, or using the wrong input mode. It is important to double-check your input and make sure you are using the correct keys and functions on the calculator. If you encounter an error, refer to the calculator's manual for troubleshooting tips.