Using a Riemman Sum to find the area under a curve (n intervals, left endpoint)

In summary, to calculate the area under the curve of x^2 on the interval x=-3 to x=1 using n subintervals and left endpoints, set up the summation A = 4/n*[f(xi1) + f(xi2) + ... + f(xin)] and plug in the expression for f(xi) to find the total area.
tesla93
Hello, I'm having a bit of trouble calculating the area under the curve of x^2 on the interval x=-3 to x=1. The question says that there I have to use n subintervals and left endpoints.

Relevant Equations

Δx=b-a/n

xi=a+(Δx)(i-1) -its i-1 because we're using a left endpoint, otherwise it would be just i.

f(xi)= (a+(Δx)(i-1))^2(Δx)

The Attempt

Δx=b-a/n
= 1-(-3)/n
=4/n

xi = -3+4/n(i-1)

f(xi)= (-3+4/n(i-1))^2(4/n)

=(9-(24i/n)+(24/n)+(16i^2/n^2)-(32i/n^2)-(16/n^2))*(4/n)

I got stuck at this point. I have no idea how to move on from here. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
The area under the curve is given by the summation of all the f(xi) values. Using the equation you have for f(xi), you can calculate the value for each xi and then sum them up. To do this, start by setting up the summation for the first n terms:A = 4/n*[f(xi1) + f(xi2) + ... + f(xin)]Then, plug in the expression for f(xi) that you derived earlier into the summation. This should give you an expression for A in terms of n. You can then solve this expression for A to find the total area under the curve.

Related to Using a Riemman Sum to find the area under a curve (n intervals, left endpoint)

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing the region into smaller rectangles and summing up their areas. This method is based on the concept of limits and is used to find the exact area under a curve by taking the limit as the number of rectangles approaches infinity.

2. How do you use a Riemann Sum to find the area under a curve?

To use a Riemann Sum to find the area under a curve, you need to divide the region into n smaller intervals, calculate the width of each interval, and find the height of the curve at the left endpoint of each interval. Then, you multiply the width and height of each interval and add up all the values to get an approximation of the total area under the curve.

3. What is the significance of using left endpoints in a Riemann Sum?

In a Riemann Sum, using left endpoints means that the height of the rectangles is determined by the value of the function at the left endpoint of each interval. This is a common method used in Riemann Sums and is more accurate when the function is increasing or decreasing.

4. How does the number of intervals affect the accuracy of a Riemann Sum?

The number of intervals, n, used in a Riemann Sum directly affects the accuracy of the approximation. As the number of intervals increases, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the exact area under the curve. This is because the smaller the intervals, the closer the rectangles are to the actual shape of the curve.

5. Can a Riemann Sum be used to find the area under any curve?

Yes, a Riemann Sum can be used to find the area under any curve, as long as the function is defined and continuous over the interval being used. It is a general method that can be applied to any curve, regardless of its shape or complexity.