Using an L.E.D. as a diode to control current flow?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of diodes for a small crystal radio project. The individual has managed to wire up the antenna and head phone jack but does not have suitable diodes for the voltages being used. The conversation mentions the use of LEDs, which may not be suitable due to their low tolerance for reverse voltages and higher voltage drop. Instead, small signal Schottky diodes or point contact Germanium diodes are recommended. The conversation also notes that these Germanium diodes may be difficult to find, but can be purchased online. It is clarified that a crystal radio does not require any input power aside from the antenna.
rollcast
I'm trying to make a small crystal radio and have managed to wire up the antenna and the head phone jack but I haven't got any diodes suitable for the voltages I'm using. I have some LEDs but will these dissipate too much current or cause any harmonics or interference with the signal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It might work, but LEDs tend to tolerate only low reverse voltages (say, a few volts rather than the 700 volts of a 1N4007 power diode or even the 100 volts of a 1N4148 signal diode). In forward mode, they also usually have a much higher voltage drop (1.5 to 4 V) as compared to the ballpark for most diodes (0.3 to 0.7 V)

For a crystal radio, you will need diodes that turn on easily with a very low voltage.

Suitable diodes are small signal Schottky diodes, like the BAT85, or point contact Germanium diodes.

These Germanium diodes are fairly scarce now, but you may find them on Ebay or somewhere.
Like these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOT-10-1N34A-Germanium-Diode-AM-FM-Radio-TV-/220585057201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335be4dbb1

LEDs are not suitable, nor are any kind of Silicon diode.

I haven't got any diodes suitable for the voltages I'm using.

What does this mean? A crystal radio (aka crystal set) does not normally use any input power apart from what comes from the antenna.

Related to Using an L.E.D. as a diode to control current flow?

1. What is an L.E.D. and how does it work as a diode?

An L.E.D., or light emitting diode, is a semiconductor device that emits light when an electric current is passed through it. As a diode, it allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction due to its unique material composition and design.

2. How can an L.E.D. be used to control current flow?

By connecting an L.E.D. in series with other components, such as resistors, in a circuit, the forward voltage drop of the L.E.D. can be used to regulate the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This is known as using the L.E.D. as a diode to control current flow.

3. What are the advantages of using an L.E.D. as a diode?

One advantage is that L.E.D.s have a lower forward voltage drop compared to traditional diodes, which means they can be used to regulate current flow with less energy loss. L.E.D.s also have a longer lifespan and are more durable than traditional diodes.

4. Are there any limitations to using an L.E.D. as a diode to control current flow?

One limitation is that L.E.D.s have a maximum forward voltage and current rating, so they may not be suitable for high voltage or high current applications. Additionally, L.E.D.s may be more sensitive to temperature changes and can fail if not properly heat-sinked.

5. Can an L.E.D. be used as a diode in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, L.E.D.s can be used as diodes in both AC and DC circuits. However, in AC circuits, they will only allow current to flow in one direction during each half cycle of the alternating current.