Using Biot-Savart to solve for B at center of square

In summary: The integral of sin\theta is -cos\theta, so:|B| = \frac{\mu I}{4\pi L} \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{L} (-cos\theta)|_0^L|B| = \frac{\mu I}{4\pi L} \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{L} (1-cos\theta)At the center of the square, \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}, so cos\theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. Plugging this in, we get:|B| = \frac{\mu I}{4\pi L} \frac{2\sqrt{2
Serik

Homework Statement

Use the Biot-Savart equation derived in class for a long, straight wire to show that

B (at the center of a square with sides L and current I) = [tex]\frac{\mu I}{\pi}[/tex] [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{L}[/tex]

Homework Equations

We derived the following in class for a long, straight wire and it was indicated that I should also use this to solve the problem.

|dB| = [tex]\frac{\mu I}{4\pi}[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] sin[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If the center of the square = 0 on the x-axis, then the distance along each triangle base = L/2. The center of the square is a distance of L/2 from each side. So r = [tex]\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex].

I spent a long time trying to figure this out, and the only way I got the correct answer was by using the same limits of integration as the straight wire example (0 to pi). Doing so makes the integral = 2, which, when put together with r = [tex]\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex], yields the final answer when multiplied by 4 (taking into account all contributions to the center of the square).

|B| = 4([tex]\frac{\mu I}{4 \pi}[/tex] [tex]\frac{2 \sqrt{2}}{L}[/tex])

However, setting the limits of integration as 0 and pi doesn't make sense because the wire is not infinitely long, but I cannot figure out how else to show the final answer. So if my algebra is correct, I've got the answer, but it just doesn't seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion about using the same limits of integration as the straight wire example. However, in this case, we are not dealing with an infinitely long wire, but rather a wire with a specific length (L) and a current (I). Therefore, it is important to consider the limits of integration in a different way.

To solve this problem, we can use the Biot-Savart equation that you have provided: |dB| = \frac{\mu I}{4\pi} \frac{1}{r} sin\thetad\theta. We can break this equation down into two parts: the constant term \frac{\mu I}{4\pi} and the term \frac{1}{r} sin\thetad\theta.

First, let's consider the constant term. This represents the strength of the magnetic field at any point along the wire. Since we are dealing with a wire of length L, we can rewrite this term as \frac{\mu I}{4\pi L}. This is because the magnetic field strength will decrease as we move away from the wire, and the length of the wire (L) represents the distance over which this decrease occurs.

Now, let's consider the term \frac{1}{r} sin\thetad\theta. This term represents the contribution of each small segment of the wire to the magnetic field at the center of the square. As you correctly pointed out, the distance from the center of the square to each side is r = \frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}. However, we also need to consider the angle \theta, which represents the angle between the segment of wire and the line connecting the segment to the center of the square. In this case, \theta will vary depending on the location of the segment along the wire. Therefore, we need to integrate this term over the entire length of the wire.

So, the integral that we need to solve is:

|B| = \int_0^L \frac{\mu I}{4\pi L} \frac{1}{\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}} sin\theta d\theta

This integral can be simplified to:

|B| = \frac{\mu I}{4\pi L} \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{L} \int_0^L sin\theta d\theta

FAQ: Using Biot-Savart to solve for B at center of square

1. How do you use the Biot-Savart law to solve for B at the center of a square?

The Biot-Savart law is a mathematical equation used to determine the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. To solve for B at the center of a square, you would first calculate the magnetic field at the center of each side of the square using the Biot-Savart law. Then, you would use the principle of superposition to add the individual magnetic fields together to find the total magnetic field at the center of the square.

2. What is the equation for the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is given by the equation: B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dl x ȓ)/r2, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the length of the current element, ȓ is the unit vector in the direction of the current, and r is the distance from the current element to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated.

3. Can the Biot-Savart law be used to solve for B at any point in space?

Yes, the Biot-Savart law can be used to solve for B at any point in space as long as the current and the geometry of the current-carrying wire are known. It is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that applies to all points in space.

4. What are the limitations of using the Biot-Savart law to solve for B at the center of a square?

The Biot-Savart law assumes that the current-carrying wire is infinitely thin and that the current is evenly distributed along the wire. In reality, wires have a finite thickness and the current may not be evenly distributed. Additionally, the Biot-Savart law only applies to steady currents and does not take into account any time-varying effects.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving for B at the center of a square?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the magnetic field at the center of a square, such as using Ampere's law or using the principle of symmetry to simplify the calculation. However, the Biot-Savart law is often the most straightforward method and is applicable in a wide range of situations.

Back