Using Boolean Algebra to Prove Equations

In summary, we discussed the axioms of Boolean algebra and used them to prove various identities. We also went over DeMorgan's rule and other identities, and used them to simplify Boolean expressions. Finally, we talked about the normal form for converting a formula to its canonical DNF.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

There should be lines of some values to imply the "Not" form of them, however to make it easier, i'll just use the ¬ Symbol

(a) Let x, y be elements of a Boolean algebra. Prove from the axioms that (x · y) + x = x.

(b) Prove from the axioms of Boolean algebra that x · ¬( y · ¬x + ¬y ) = (x + x) · (y + 0). You can use DeMorgan’s and other identities we already derived in class.

(c) In the proof of completeness of Boolean algebra, we showed how to convert every formula to its “canonical DNF”: a normal form corresponding to the DNF obtained from the truth table without any simplifications.
Describe the normal form for the formula ¬( y · ¬x + ¬y )

Homework Equations

x + y = y + x
x · y = y · x
(x + y) + z = x + (y + z)
(x · y) · z = x · (y · z)
x · (y + z) = x · y + x · z
x + y · z = (x + y) · (x + z)
x + 0 = x
x · 1 = x
x + ¬x = 1
x · ¬x = 0
0 ≠ 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a, i don't even know how to start it. There doesn't seem to be anything i can do to it.

Part b, i have an attempt for
x * ¬(y * ¬x + ¬y) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
x * (¬y + x * y) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
x * (¬y + y * y + x) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
x * (1 * y + x) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
x * (x + 1) * (y + 1) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
x * x + x * 1 * (y + 1) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
0 + x * (y + 1) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
0 + (x * y) + (x * 1) = (x + x) * (y + 0)
0 + (x * y) + (x) = (x + x) * (y + 0)

but i get here and get stuck.

and part c, much like part a, i don't even know how to start it.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) You did not include into the relevant equations but you certainly know that x+1=1.
There are two more axioms: 1*x=x and the distributive law: a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c.
Write y*x+x in the form y*x+1*x, apply the reverse of the distributive law, (factor out x) ...

b)

¬(y * ¬x + ¬y) ≠(¬y + x * y).

The correct application of de Morgan rule is :

¬((y * ¬x) + ¬y) =¬(y * ¬x)*y=(¬y+x)*y=...

c)Set up the truth table of the expression. Collect what product of x and y result 1 and add them. For example, if you get 1 when x= 0 and y =1 and also when x=1 and y = 1, then the canonical form is ¬x*y + x*y.

ehild

Related to Using Boolean Algebra to Prove Equations

1. What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system that deals with logical operations on binary variables. It is used to represent and manipulate logical statements and is an important tool in computer science and engineering.

2. How is Boolean algebra used to prove equations?

Boolean algebra uses a set of rules and operations to manipulate logical statements, which can then be used to prove equations. By converting equations into logical statements and applying Boolean algebra rules, we can determine the validity of the equation.

3. What are the basic operations in Boolean algebra?

The basic operations in Boolean algebra are AND, OR, and NOT. AND represents the logical conjunction, OR represents the logical disjunction, and NOT represents negation. These operations can be combined in various ways to manipulate logical statements.

4. Are there any limitations to using Boolean algebra to prove equations?

One limitation of using Boolean algebra to prove equations is that it only deals with binary variables, meaning that it can only handle two values (true and false). Additionally, it may not be suitable for complex equations involving multiple variables.

5. How is Boolean algebra applied in real-world scenarios?

Boolean algebra is widely used in digital logic design, computer programming, and circuit design. It is also used in databases and search engines to retrieve information based on logical conditions. It is a fundamental concept in computer science and has numerous applications in various fields.