Using Capsaicin to Get Really High

docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Discussion of how spicy foods can affect your mood.
Hi there. I'm a frequent enjoyer of spicy foods. Buffalo wings, tabasco, Thai food, chips, you name it. I find that my sleep and mood improve after I ingest spicy foods. I've been experimenting with different sources as well, from jalapeno peppers to pure capsaicin extract, at 16 million Scoville heat units (SHU). The SHU rating or the amount don't always correlate with the psychological effect. There was a time when eating a jalapeno pepper made me feel more capsaicin-high than eating something really hot, like a Paqui One Chip. Eating really hot food guarantees pain, but doesn't always lead to a good feeling. There are people who eat a dozen fresh ghost peppers for enjoyment, but I don't think my derrière can handle it. Rather than going down that road, find that my capsaicin experience is improved when I don't eat something spicy for a while.

Capsaicin is known to be psychoactive substance, but I've read that it's generally healthy with no serious side effects. What are your thoughts about this, do you think it's unhealthy?