Using centripetal force to fight lenz?

In summary, the conversation delves into a possible solution for overcoming Lenz law using gravity and centripetal force. The idea involves using a magnet and a lever to induce electricity, but the issue of balancing the lever arises due to the downward directed BEMF. The conversation then explores the possibility of using the natural pull of centripetal force to shift a counterweight away from the axle, potentially cancelling out the effects of Lenz law. However, the practicality and feasibility of this idea are questioned, with the conclusion that it may not yield any additional energy.
mr_bojangles
hello to all, first post on this side of the web,

maybe some of you folks can give me an opinion on something I've been running in my head

ok, so this stemmed from thinking about how to overcome lenz law with gravity

i thought of a magnet on the end of a lever, with a free standing inductor next to it, we push on the other side of the lever and this causes the magnet on the other end to pass the inductor and induce electricity

the problem with this is that when we push down on the lever, the BEMF is directed downward

lets interpret this as gravity, so in a sense it gets "heavier"

this means to balance our lever we would need to add a counter weight and we could use less energy, however this presents a problem because on the upward stroke of the lever, the other side becomes "lighter"

and now we have to lift the difference in weight of the lever, in addition to the force of the bemf

then i thought about how it would behave on its side

now, if we had a wheel or lever we were spinning, we would want it to be balanced, and currently it would be "unbalanced", because even if the weight ratios were correct, while it spun the magnet side would get "heavier" due to the bemf

so i propose using the natural pull of centripetal force to allow a counterweight to gain distance from the axle, making the lever "balanced", could this possibly cancel out lenz law, if we use a flywheel?

heres a quick drawing,

let me know what you think

Attachments

• centripetal.jpg
    centripetal.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_bojangles said:
lets interpret this as gravity, so in a sense it gets "heavier"
No let's not.
mr_bojangles said:
so i propose using the natural pull of centripetal force to allow a counterweight to gain distance from the axle, making the lever "balanced", could this possibly cancel out lenz law, if we use a flywheel?

What natural pull of what centripetal force. The thing is only spinning because you apply a torque in the first place. You can then say that each part of the "lever" is acted on by a centripetal force but that does not constitute some untapped mystical source of energy.

bp_psy said:
No let's not.

how clever of you to take a rhetorical question and answer it as if it were to be taken literally

what i was talking about is lenz law suggests that a force is induced in the opposing direction of the magnetic field, in this case the opposite direction of the rotation of the lever

a lever without a magnet is most efficiently spun when it is balanced, adding a counterweight adds a force on the other side of the lever, in the opposite direction of the bemf

seeing as how bemf exponentially increases with rate of rotation, this implies we would need an exponential addition of energy on the other side to counteract this force and make the lever "balanced"

the easiest way to make something heavier is to move it further from the axle, and instead of wasting energy with a motor to shift the weight, we could use the "natural pull" of centripetal force, seeing as how centripetal force is acting on the counterweight in a direction that goes away from the axle, outward, it would pull the weight to shift further away, on its own

that is all i meant by it

i never said my idea was factual or claimed it to be true, i just wanted to get an opinion on an idea i had

i never suggested the movement of the counterweight away from the axle would yield magical energy, i do not no where you got this assumption

FAQ: Using centripetal force to fight lenz?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How does centripetal force relate to Lenz's law?

Lenz's law states that when a conducting loop experiences a change in magnetic flux, an induced current is created in the loop that opposes the change in flux. In the case of using centripetal force to fight Lenz, the loop is moving in a circular path and the centripetal force is acting as the external force to keep the loop moving. This opposes the induced current created by Lenz's law, effectively "fighting" against it.

3. Can centripetal force completely cancel out Lenz's law?

No, centripetal force can only reduce the effects of Lenz's law. According to Newton's third law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, the induced current created by Lenz's law will always exist, but the centripetal force can counteract it to some extent.

4. How is centripetal force used practically to fight Lenz's law?

In certain applications, such as in generators and motors, the use of centripetal force can help to reduce the resistance caused by Lenz's law. By keeping the conducting loop in motion, the induced current is minimized and the efficiency of the system is increased.

5. Are there any limitations to using centripetal force to fight Lenz's law?

Centripetal force can only be effective in reducing the effects of Lenz's law if the conducting loop is in motion. If the loop is stationary, the induced current will still be present and cannot be counteracted by centripetal force.