Using continuity to evaluate a limit of a composite function

In summary: Many thanks!In summary, the solution to this problem is that if a polynomial has two real roots, then it is positive or negative depending on whether a>0 or a<0.
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1680658325619.png

1680658335960.png

The solution is,
1680658369794.png

However, I tried to solve this problem using my Graphics Calculator instead of completing the square. I got the zeros of ##x^2 - 2x - 4## to be ##x_1 = 3.236## and ##x_2 = -1.236##

Therefore ##x_1 ≥ 3.236## and ##x_2 ≥ -1.236##

Since ##x_1 > x_2## then,

Therefore ## (x | x ≥ -1.236 ) ## which is ##~(x | x ≥ 1 - \sqrt{5} )~## (sorry curly brackets were not working), however, my domain restriction excludes some other values shown in the solution. Dose anybody please know a way using my method to get those values?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the process of ##lim_{x\rightarrow 4}## we put x in the region ##(4-\epsilon, 4+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is in your {x| 3.236<x} but not in {x|x<-1.236}.

For an example of another exercise of ##lim_{x\rightarrow -2}## we put x in the region ##(-2-\epsilon, -2+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is not in your {x| 3.236<x} but is in {x|x<-1.236}.

Likes member 731016
anuttarasammyak said:
In the process of ##lim_{x\rightarrow 4}## we put x in the region ##(4-\epsilon, 4+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is in your {x| 3.236<x} but not in {x|x<-1.236}.

For an example of another exercise of ##lim_{x\rightarrow -2}## we put x in the region ##(-2-\epsilon, -2+\epsilon)## for any small positive number ##\epsilon##, which is not in your {x| 3.236<x} but is in {x|x<-1.236}.
Thank you for your reply @anuttarasammyak !

Sorry, I have not really done by epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 324502
View attachment 324503
The solution is,
View attachment 324504
However, I tried to solve this problem using my Graphics Calculator instead of completing the square. I got the zeros of ##x^2 - 2x - 4## to be ##x_1 = 3.236## and ##x_2 = -1.236##

Therefore ##x_1 ≥ 3.236## and ##x_2 ≥ -1.236##

Since ##x_1 > x_2## then,

Therefore ## (x | x ≥ -1.236 ) ## which is ##~(x | x ≥ 1 - \sqrt{5} )~## (sorry curly brackets were not working), however, my domain restriction excludes some other values shown in the solution. Dose anybody please know a way using my method to get those values?

Many thanks!

For [itex]P(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex]:

If [itex]P[/itex] has only a single real root, or no real roots:
  • If [itex]a > 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] everywhere.
  • If [itex]a < 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] only at the real root (if any).
If [itex]P[/itex] has two distinct real roots [itex]r_1 < r_2[/itex]:
  • If [itex]a > 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] for [itex]x \leq r_1[/itex] or [itex]x \geq r_2[/itex] ("outside the roots").
  • If [itex]a < 0[/itex] then [itex]P(x) \geq 0[/itex] for [itex]r_1 \leq x \leq r_2[/itex] ("between the roots").

All of these results follow from the facts that [itex]P(x)[/itex] is positive for all sufficiently large [itex]|x|[/itex] if [itex]a > 0[/itex] and negative for all sufficiently large [itex]|x|[/itex] if [itex]a < 0[/itex] and that a polynomial only changes sign at a real root of odd multiplicity.

Alternatively, by completing the square you can reduce this to either [itex]|x - p| \leq q[/itex] or [itex]|x - p| \geq q[/itex]. The first has the interpretation that [itex]x[/itex] is at most [itex]q[/itex] units away from [itex]p[/itex], ie. [itex]p - q \leq x \leq p + q[/itex]. The second has the interpretation that [itex]x[/itex] is at least [itex]q[/itex] units away from [itex]p[/itex], ie. [itex]x \leq p -q[/itex] or [itex]x \geq p + q[/itex].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes member 731016
This seems a case of using continuity implies sequential continuity. ( Though the converse is false).

Likes member 731016

Related to Using continuity to evaluate a limit of a composite function

What is continuity in the context of evaluating limits of composite functions?

Continuity, in the context of evaluating limits of composite functions, refers to a function being continuous at a point if the limit of the function as it approaches that point is equal to the function's value at that point. For composite functions, this property helps in evaluating limits by allowing us to substitute the limit inside the composite function.

How can I use the continuity of functions to evaluate the limit of a composite function?

To use the continuity of functions to evaluate the limit of a composite function, you first ensure that the inner function is continuous at the point of interest. Then, you find the limit of the inner function as it approaches the given point. Finally, you use the outer function's continuity to evaluate the limit by substituting the limit of the inner function into the outer function.

What is the formal definition of a composite function limit using continuity?

The formal definition states that if \( f \) is continuous at \( L \) and \( \lim_{{x \to c}} g(x) = L \), then \( \lim_{{x \to c}} f(g(x)) = f(L) \). This means that the limit of the composite function \( f(g(x)) \) as \( x \) approaches \( c \) is equal to \( f \) evaluated at the limit of \( g(x) \) as \( x \) approaches \( c \).

Can you give an example of evaluating the limit of a composite function using continuity?

Sure! Consider the composite function \( h(x) = \sin(\ln(x)) \). To evaluate \( \lim_{{x \to 1}} h(x) \), we first find the limit of the inner function \( \ln(x) \) as \( x \) approaches 1, which is \( \ln(1) = 0 \). Since \( \sin(x) \) is continuous at 0, we can then evaluate \( \lim_{{x \to 1}} \sin(\ln(x)) = \sin(\lim_{{x \to 1}} \ln(x)) = \sin(0) = 0 \).

What are common pitfalls when using continuity to evaluate composite function limits?

Common pitfalls include assuming continuity without verifying it, neglecting to check the domain of the functions involved, and incorrectly applying the limit laws. It's crucial to ensure that both the inner and outer functions are continuous at the relevant points and to carefully follow the limit evaluation steps.