Using dimensions to derive an equation

In summary, the frequency of a simple pendulum is determined by its length and the gravitational field strength, and can be expressed as f = l / T3 using dimensional analysis. This method involves expressing the inputs and output in terms of MxLyTz, and then writing an equation where the output form equals a product of the input forms raised to unknown powers. This can be applied to various physics problems, even for beginners.
Darren Byrne

Homework Statement

The frequency of a simple pendulum depends only on its length and the gravitational field strength. Use dimensions to derive a possible form for the equation for this frequency.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Not sure. I was looking at f = 1/T as a starting point and g = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm fairy new to physics. This question is in the opening chapter on 'dimensions'. I fairly easily worked my way through the first three questions but this one (the last one) is a little trickier for me. I made an attempt (below) but I'm guessing its wrong.

I started with f = 1 /T since it's the only equation I know currently for frequency.

From there I wrote down the dimensions for frequency as [f] = 1 x T-1

Now I'm stuck. Since this is the opening chapter I doubt they expect me to know the relationship between gravitational field strength, length and frequency so how do I proceed from here?

I thought perhaps I should find the dimensions for gravitational field strength so used g = F/m

and from there got [g] = LT-2

I made a stab in the dark then and expressed frequency as f = l / T3

I would appreciate any tips on how a beginner would approach a question like this.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimensional analysis works like this. First, express each of the inputs and the output in the form MxLyTz, etc. (so, if electric charge were to feature then there could also be a Qt term, etc.). A force would be MLT-2.
Next, write an equation in which the output form equals a product of input forms raised to unknown powers. E.g. If you wanted a relationship between a force a mass and an acceleration then you would write (MLT-2)=(M)q(LT-2)r and solve for q, r.

Related to Using dimensions to derive an equation

1. How do you use dimensions to derive an equation?

Using dimensions to derive an equation involves identifying the relevant physical quantities and their units, and then manipulating them algebraically to create an equation that accurately represents the relationship between those quantities.

2. Why is using dimensions important when deriving an equation?

Using dimensions helps to ensure the accuracy and consistency of the derived equation, as each term in the equation must have the same units on both sides for the equation to be valid. It also allows for dimensional analysis, which can help to check the correctness of the equation.

3. Can you give an example of using dimensions to derive an equation?

One example is using the dimensions of velocity (length/time) and acceleration (length/time^2) to derive the equation for displacement (length) as a function of time (time) and initial velocity (length/time) and acceleration (length/time^2).

4. Are there any limitations to using dimensions to derive an equation?

Using dimensions alone cannot always fully capture the complexity of a physical relationship, and it may be necessary to incorporate other factors or variables into the equation. Additionally, dimensions may not always be clear or well-defined for all physical quantities.

5. How do you check the correctness of an equation derived using dimensions?

One method is to perform dimensional analysis, where the units on both sides of the equation are checked to ensure they are consistent and match on each term. Another method is to use real-world data and perform experiments to test the predicted values from the equation against the actual measurements.