Using entropy to solve for Free Gibbs energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of values for q, w, dU, dH, dG, dSsys, dSsur, and dStot for the expansion of 1.00 mol of perfect gas at 25 C from an initial pressure of 5.00 atm to a final pressure of 1.00 atm in two different ways: (a) reversibly and (b) against a constant external pressure of 1.00 atm. The speaker mentions that they know how to calculate all of these values, but had trouble with the calculation of dG for part (a). They explain their calculations and mention that they got a negative value for dG, while their professor's answer was positive
jtruth914
1.00 mol of perfect gas at 25 C is expanded isothermally from an initial pressure of 5.00 atm to a final pressure of 1.00 atm in two ways:(a) reversibly (b) against a constant external pressure of 1.00 atm. Calculate the values for q, w, dU, dH, dG, dSsys, dSsur, dStot for each path.
(I pretty much know how to calculate all of them, but for Gibbs free energy for part (a) I got a different answer. I got -3.98kJ, but the answer is +3.98kJ. The only way I can get that is if I plug in dSsur in the dG equation instead of dSys. Do you use dSsur to get dG for an isothermal reversible process? I thought dG= dH-TdSsys Please explain.) Thanks.

This is what I did to solve for (a)

w= -nRT ln Vf/Vi
w= -3.98 kJ

q= -w for isothermal process b/c dU is equal to 0 so q=+3.98kJ

dU=0
dH= dU + d(nRT), for isothermal process T=0
Thus, dH=0

dSsys= q/T= 3.98kJ/298 K= +13.39 J/K

dSsur= -13.39 J/K

This is where my problem is

dG= dH-TdS
dG= 0-(298K)(13.39J/K)
dG= -3.99 kJ <----- this is what I got, but my professor's answer to this problem is positive. I think he used dSsur, but I don't understand why? Isn't Gibbs free energy in regards to the "system" ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haha maybe you are in my class because I have an exam tomorrow and I was just working on this problem and also cannot figure out how he got a positive answer for G in part a either. I am hoping he made a mistake because I really don't understand why it would be positive.

Related to Using entropy to solve for Free Gibbs energy

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a thermodynamic property that quantifies the number of possible arrangements or configurations of a system at a given energy level.

2. How is entropy related to Free Gibbs energy?

Entropy and Free Gibbs energy are related through the second law of thermodynamics. Free Gibbs energy is a measure of the energy available to do work in a system, and it is affected by both the entropy and the enthalpy of the system.

3. How can entropy be used to solve for Free Gibbs energy?

By knowing the entropy and enthalpy values of a system, one can use the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS to solve for Free Gibbs energy. This equation takes into account the effects of both entropy and enthalpy on the overall energy of the system.

4. What are the units of entropy and Free Gibbs energy?

The units of entropy are typically joules per kelvin (J/K), while the units of Free Gibbs energy are joules (J). These units reflect the energy and temperature components of the equations used to calculate these thermodynamic properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using entropy to solve for Free Gibbs energy?

Yes, there are limitations to using entropy to solve for Free Gibbs energy. This method assumes that the system is at equilibrium, and does not take into account any non-idealities or deviations from ideal behavior. It also does not consider any changes in pressure or volume of the system.