Using Gauss' law to find the induced surface charge density ##\sigma##

Meow12
Homework Statement
A thin insulating rod with charge density ##\lambda=\rm+5\ nC/m## is arranged inside a thin conducting cylindrical shell of radius ##R=\rm 3\ cm##. The rod and shell are on the same axis, and you can assume they are both infinite in length. What is the SURFACE charge density ##\sigma## induced on the OUTSIDE of the conducting shell in ##\rm C/m^2##?
Relevant Equations
Statement of Gauss's Law: ##\displaystyle\oint\limits\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
physics.png
My attempt:

The electric field in the interior of a conductor is ##0##.

By symmetry, the electric field is directed radially outward.

Take the Gaussian surface as the thin cylindrical shell of radius ##\rm 3\ cm## and length ##L##.

##\displaystyle\oint\limits\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##

Since ##E=0## everywhere, ##Q=0##

##\lambda L+\sigma\cdot 2\pi R L=0##

##\lambda+2\pi R\sigma=0##

##\displaystyle\sigma=\rm-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi R}##

Upon substituting the values, we get ##\rm\sigma=-2.6\times 10^{-7}\ C/m^2##

##\sigma_{outside}=\rm+2.6\times 10^{-7}\ C/m^2=\rm +260\ nC/m^2##

But the correct answer is ##\rm +26\ nC/m^2##. I'm off by a factor of ##10##; where have I gone wrong?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Meow12 said:
##\displaystyle\sigma=\rm-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi R}##

Upon substituting the values, we get ##\rm\sigma=-2.6\times 10^{-7}\ C/m^2##
Your formula is correct. When I substitute the values, I get a result that is about 1/10 of your value. Check your work. If you still aren't getting the correct value, show the numerical values that you used in the formula.

• Informative
Likes Meow12 and berkeman
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!Your formula is correct. When I substitute the values, I get a result that is about 1/10 of your value. Check your work. If you still aren't getting the correct value, show the numerical values that you used in the formula.
Yeah, I had made a silly calculation mistake. Thanks for your post.

Likes berkeman and TSny

Related to Using Gauss' law to find the induced surface charge density ##\sigma##

What is Gauss' law and how is it used to find the induced surface charge density?

Gauss' law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed electric charge. Mathematically, it is expressed as ∮E·dA = Q_enclosed/ε₀. To find the induced surface charge density σ, we apply Gauss' law to a Gaussian surface close to the conductor's surface, where the electric field is known or can be symmetrically determined. The surface charge density is then related to the electric field just outside the conductor by σ = ε₀E.

What kind of symmetry is needed to simplify the application of Gauss' law?

To simplify the application of Gauss' law, it is beneficial to have a problem with high symmetry, such as spherical, cylindrical, or planar symmetry. These symmetries allow us to make assumptions about the electric field distribution, making it easier to evaluate the flux integral and solve for the induced surface charge density σ.

How do you choose a Gaussian surface when applying Gauss' law?

The choice of a Gaussian surface depends on the symmetry of the problem. For example, for a planar conductor, you might choose a pillbox-shaped Gaussian surface that straddles the conducting surface. For a spherical conductor, a concentric spherical Gaussian surface is appropriate. The key is to choose a surface where the electric field is either constant or zero, simplifying the flux calculation.

Can Gauss' law be used to find the induced surface charge density on irregularly shaped conductors?

Gauss' law is most effective for problems with high symmetry. For irregularly shaped conductors, it becomes challenging to apply Gauss' law directly due to the complex electric field distribution. In such cases, numerical methods or approximations are often used to find the induced surface charge density.

What are common mistakes to avoid when using Gauss' law to find surface charge density?

Common mistakes include choosing an inappropriate Gaussian surface that does not align with the symmetry of the problem, incorrectly calculating the electric flux, and neglecting the contributions of charges outside the Gaussian surface. Additionally, one must ensure that the electric field used in the calculations is just outside the conductor's surface, as this directly relates to the surface charge density.