Using Homogenuous Functions to Understand Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of homogenous functions in thermodynamics. The first equation states that if a function is homogenous of degree r, then a specific equation holds true. The second equation, in the context of thermodynamics, shows that a homogenous function of degree 1 leads to a simplified equation. The conversation concludes that this assumption can generally be used, with exceptions for very small amounts of a substance or in situations with long range interactions between molecules. This information is useful for a thesis and can be found in mathematical books.
Petar Mali
If I have homogenuous function [tex]f(x,y,z,...)[/tex] of degree [tex]r[/tex] than:
[tex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}+...=rf[/tex]

In thermodynamics:
[tex]dU=TdS-pdV+\mu dN[/tex]

If I said U is homogenuous function of degree 1 I will get

[tex]U=TS-pV+\mu N[/tex]

When can I use this assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can almost always use this assumption. It amounts to the assumption that when you have some substance, and you double the amount of it, and so its volume and entropy, you also double the energy. This will be true for macroscopic amounts of a substance.

The only exceptions occur for very small amounts of a substance. If you have one molecule, and then you add one more, the energy is not just doubled. Same goes for going from two molecules to four. It will start working when there is enough of the substance that the effects of the surface are negligible and you basically have a totally homogeneous material.

You also have to assume that there are no long range interactions between the molecules. So e.g., in astrophysical problems where gravity is important you cannot make this assumption.

Thanks!

Hi!
You know..? This is exacly what I need for my thesis.
In which mathematic books can I find that theorem?

FAQ: Using Homogenuous Functions to Understand Thermodynamics

1. What are homogenous functions in thermodynamics?

Homogenous functions in thermodynamics are mathematical functions in which all the variables have the same units and scale uniformly with each other. In other words, if all the variables are multiplied by a constant factor, the function remains unchanged. This is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to express relationships between physical properties in a simplified and consistent manner.

2. How can homogenous functions be used to understand thermodynamics?

Homogenous functions can be used in thermodynamics to derive equations and relationships that describe the behavior of different systems. For example, the fundamental thermodynamic equation, which relates energy, entropy, and temperature, is a homogenous function. By using homogenous functions, we can also perform dimensional analysis and determine the units of physical properties in thermodynamic equations.

3. What is the significance of homogenous functions in thermodynamics?

Homogenous functions play a crucial role in thermodynamics because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems in a more straightforward and consistent manner. By using homogenous functions, we can derive fundamental relationships and equations that describe the properties and behavior of matter and energy.

4. Can homogenous functions be used to solve thermodynamic problems?

Yes, homogenous functions can be used to solve thermodynamic problems. By understanding the relationships between physical properties of a system, we can use homogenous functions to derive equations that can be used to solve specific problems. For example, the Maxwell relations, which are derived from homogenous functions, can be used to calculate changes in entropy, enthalpy, and other properties of a system.

5. How do homogenous functions relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Homogenous functions are closely related to the laws of thermodynamics. The first and second laws of thermodynamics can be expressed in the form of homogenous functions, which highlights the importance of these functions in understanding and applying the laws. Additionally, homogenous functions are used in the derivation of other thermodynamic laws and principles, such as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and the Gibbs-Duhem equation.