Using integration find the volume of cutted cone

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of revolution around the y-axis for a right cone cut parallel to the base with radii r and R. The formula for the volume is derived and an integral is set up using a substitution. The final step is to evaluate the integral to find the volume.
Amer
if we cut a right cone parallel to the base having a two radius r and R The picture
View attachment 407

I want to use the volume of revolution around the y-axis
we have the line

[tex]y - 0 = \dfrac{h}{r-R} (x - R)[/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{r-R}{h} y +R [/tex]

The volume will be
[tex] \pi \int_{0}^{h} \left(\frac{r-R}{h} y + R\right)^2 dy [/tex]
[tex]\pi \int_{0}^{h} \frac{(r-R)^2y^2}{h^2} + \frac{2R(r-R)y}{h} + R^2 dy [/tex]
now i just have to evaluate the integral, did i miss something ?

Attachments

• Mas.jpg
    Mas.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 50
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me, however, I would use a substitution to simplify matters:

$\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^h\left(\frac{r-R}{h}y+R \right)^2\,dy$

Let:

$\displaystyle u=\frac{r-R}{h}y+R\,\therefore\,du=\frac{r-R}{h}\,dy$

hence:

$\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{r-R}\pi\int_{R}^{r}u^2\,du$

FAQ: Using integration find the volume of cutted cone

1. What is integration and how does it relate to finding the volume of a cutted cone?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. In the case of a cutted cone, integration is used to find the volume by calculating the sum of infinitely small slices of the cone and adding them together.

2. Can integration be used to find the volume of any type of cone?

Yes, integration can be used to find the volume of any type of cone, including a cutted cone. The key is to set up the integral correctly, taking into account the varying cross-sectional area of the cone.

3. What are the steps involved in using integration to find the volume of a cutted cone?

The first step is to set up the integral by determining the limits of integration and the function that represents the varying cross-sectional area of the cone. Then, integrate the function and evaluate it between the limits to find the volume. Finally, apply any necessary conversions to get the final volume in the desired units.

4. Are there any alternative methods for finding the volume of a cutted cone?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the volume of a cutted cone, such as using geometric formulas or using the Pythagorean theorem to find the slant height and then using the formula for the volume of a cone. However, integration is a more accurate and versatile method as it can be applied to irregularly shaped cones as well.

5. How can I check my answer when using integration to find the volume of a cutted cone?

One way to check your answer is to use a calculator or software to numerically evaluate the integral and compare it to your calculated volume. Another way is to use the same integral formula to find the volume of a regular cone with the same dimensions, and the two results should be equal.