Using Lagrange Multipliers to Maximize a Quantity Under Constraint

In summary, the author is discussing how Lagrange multipliers are used differently in a different context. Normally they are used to minimize a quantity, but in this case they are instead used to make the gradient of f and g equal.
aaaa202
Normally lagrange multipliers are used in the following sense.

Suppose we are given a function f(x,y.z..,) and the constraint g(x,y,z,...,) = c
Define a lagrange function:
L = f - λ(g-c)

And find the partial derivatives with respect to all variables and λ. This gives you the extrema since for an extrema ∇f = λ∇g

However, I find that in my mechanics book this is used differently. I have attached a picture of the place where lagrange multipliers are used. I don't see how they in this case are used to maximize a quantity (which should be L) under a constraint like the above. Can anyone show me how they are and which gradients are to be parallel?

Attachments

• lmultipliers.png
    lmultipliers.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I understand; how are they used differently? You have a set of constraints [itex] f_\alpha(\mathbf{q},\dot{\mathbf{q}},t) = 0 [/itex] and then you just write [itex] L = L + \sum_\alpha \lambda_\alpha f_\alpha [/itex]

maybe I just don't see it. But my point is that you usually want to make the gradients of f and g=y parallel. How is that done in the example? There are no gradients being taken...

Aah sorry, I somehow missed the whole point of your question :) They are not maximizing L. They are minimizing (or maximizing) the integral of L. This is entirely different.

So do you understand how you get from [tex]S = \int dt L [/tex] by varying the action to
[tex]\delta S = \int dt \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \right) \delta q = 0 \rightarrow \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} = 0 [/tex]?

Yes, I know that the above implies the Euler-lagrange equation.
So they want to make the lagrangian stationary. Normally if the qi's are independent you that leads to n independent lagrange equations. But now they are instead using lagrange multipliers. But how exactly are they used? In analogy to my original example, what is f and what is g and how does the above correspond to the problem of making the gradient of f and g parallel. Maybe it is completely obvious, but I can't quite see it.

aaaa202 said:
Yes, I know that the above implies the Euler-lagrange equation.
So they want to make the lagrangian stationary. Normally if the qi's are independent you that leads to n independent lagrange equations. But now they are instead using lagrange multipliers. But how exactly are they used? In analogy to my original example, what is f and what is g and how does the above correspond to the problem of making the gradient of f and g parallel. Maybe it is completely obvious, but I can't quite see it.

Imagine that you approximate the integral by a finite sum of a large number of terms (which we actually do in numerical work), and you replace the continuum of constraints ##f(q,\dot{q},t) = 0## by a large number of constraints ##f(q_i,v_i ,t_i) = 0, \; i=1,2, \ldots, N.## Here, the ##q_i## are you estimate of ##q(t_i)## and the ##v_i## are your estimate of ##\dot{q}(t_i).## (Again, this is often how such problems ARE dealt with using numerical methods---we replace a continuous problem by a disctete problem involving a large number of small time steps.) Now your solution to
[tex] \min \int_a^b L(q,\dot{q},t)\, dt, \: \text{ subject to } f(q,\dot{q},t) = 0 \text{ for all } t \in [a,b][/tex] would be replaced by that of the problem
[tex] \min \sum_{i=1}^N \Delta t_i f(q_i,v_i,t_i),\\
\text{subject to}\\
v_i = (q_i - q_{i-1})/ \Delta_i \;(\text{ or } v_i = (q_{i+1} - q_i)/ \Delta_i), i=1, \ldots N\\
f(q_i,v_i ,t_i) = 0, \; i=1, \ldots, N.
[/tex]
Now, of course, you would have a Lagrange multiplier ##\lambda_i## for each of the f = 0 constraints, so your Lagrangian would contain
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^N \lambda_i f(q_i,v_i,t_i). [/tex]
and this would go over into an integral in the limit of infinite N.

Well, that is the intuition, anyway; rigorous justification is another matter.

RGV

Thanks, just the type of argument I was looking for.

Related to Using Lagrange Multipliers to Maximize a Quantity Under Constraint

1. What is the concept behind using Lagrange multipliers to maximize a quantity under constraint?

The concept behind using Lagrange multipliers is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to certain constraints. This is done by introducing a new variable, known as the Lagrange multiplier, and forming a system of equations that can be solved to find the optimal value of the function.

2. How do Lagrange multipliers work?

Lagrange multipliers work by setting the gradient of the function to be maximized or minimized equal to the gradient of the constraint, multiplied by the Lagrange multiplier. This creates a system of equations that can be solved to find the optimal value of the function.

3. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for both single and multiple constraints?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for both single and multiple constraints. For single constraints, only one Lagrange multiplier is needed, while for multiple constraints, a Lagrange multiplier is introduced for each constraint.

4. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers to maximize a quantity under constraint?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that it may not always produce a global maximum or minimum. It is important to check the solutions obtained from the method to ensure they are the global optimum.

5. In what fields of science are Lagrange multipliers commonly used?

Lagrange multipliers are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and optimization problems in mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving constrained optimization problems in these fields.