Using Newton's Method to Find f(x)=x^5+x-1's Zeros to 5 Decimal Places

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Newton's method to determine the zeros of a function. The formula for Newton's method is provided and it is mentioned that it can be used to estimate the number of iterations needed to achieve a desired level of accuracy. The use of a calculator is suggested to help with the calculations, and a mistake in one of the calculations is pointed out.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I'm having some trouble with this exercise, which says: Use the Newton's method for determining the zeros of f(x) to 5 decimal places for [tex]f(x)=x^5+x-1[/tex].

So [tex]f'(x)=5x^4+1[/tex]

I thought of iterating till I get [tex]x_n-x_{n+1}<0.000001[/tex]. The thing is that I get to a point where the calculus become too difficult because of the numbers dimensions.

I've started with x=1
[tex]x_1=1\Rightarrow{x_2=1-\displaystyle\frac{1}{6}}=\displaystyle\frac{5}6{}[/tex]

[tex]x_3=\displaystyle\frac{5}{6}-\displaystyle\frac{1829}{11526}=\displaystyle\frac{1296}{1921}[/tex]

From here it becomes to difficult to continue.
[tex]f(x_3)=\displaystyle\frac{1296^5}{1921^5}+\displaystyle\frac{1296}{1921}-1[/tex]
[tex]f'(x_3)=5\displaystyle\frac{1296^4}{1921^4}[/tex]

And I still too far from the five decimal places that it asks me for.

I have this formula too, which I don't know how to use

It says:

Being [tex]f:[a,b]\longrightarrow{\mathbb{R}}[/tex] a function two times derivable on the compact interval [a,b] such that 1º) f(a) and f(b) have different sign; 2º) exists [tex]k_1<0[/tex] such that [tex]|f'(x)|\geq{k_1}[/tex] for all [tex]x\in{I}[/tex]; and 3º) exists [tex]k_2\in{\mathbb{R}}[/tex] such that [tex]|f''(x)|\leq{k_2}[/tex] for all [tex]x\in{I}[/tex]. Then it verifies:

1.º In ]a,b[ there is only one root r of the equation f(x)=0
2.º If r is enclosed on an interval [tex] [r-\delta,r+\delta]\subset{[a,b]}[/tex] with [tex]\delta<2(k_1/k_2)[/tex] and if we take [tex]x_1[/tex] on the interval, the succession [tex]x_n[/tex] defined by recurrence by

[tex]x_{n+1}=x_n-\displaystyle\frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)}, (n\in{\mathbb{N}})[/tex] (Newton iteration)

converges to the root r, and it verifies

[tex]|x_{n+1}-r|<\displaystyle\frac{k_2}{2k_1}|x_n-r|^2[/tex] y [tex]|x_{n+1}-r|<\displaystyle\frac{2k_1}{k_2}(\delta/\displaystyle\frac{2k_1}{k_2})^{2n}[/tex]Can I use this last to know how many iterations I'll have to use to get the error that it asks me for?

Bye there, and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just use a calculator to evaluate each iteration? Newton's method is, after all, a way to estimate roots numerically. You'll find it converges quickly to the desired accuracy. (By the way, you messed up somewhere in calculating x3.)

My calculator can't do much more than helping me with the divisions and multiplications :P

Nice observation by the way, I've made one mistake with x_3

Last edited:
That's all you need it to do.

FAQ: Using Newton's Method to Find f(x)=x^5+x-1's Zeros to 5 Decimal Places

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an iterative process used to approximate the roots or zeros of a function. It involves repeatedly improving an initial guess for the root by using the function's derivative.

How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by starting with an initial guess for the root and using the function's derivative to find a better estimate for the root. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

Why is it useful to find the zeros of a function?

Finding the zeros of a function can help with various applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to solve equations, optimize functions, and understand the behavior of a function.

What is the significance of finding the zeros to 5 decimal places?

Finding the zeros to 5 decimal places provides a more precise approximation of the roots compared to finding them to fewer decimal places. This level of accuracy may be necessary for certain applications or calculations.

Are there any limitations to using Newton's Method?

Yes, there are limitations to using Newton's Method. It may not always converge to the correct root, especially if the initial guess is not close enough to the actual root. Also, it may not work for functions with multiple roots or when the derivative of the function is not continuous.