Using numbers as markers in excel.

In summary, to number the 4 different states on a P-v diagram in Excel, you can add data labels to the series, select the data labels, click on the specific label you want to modify, enter the desired label in the formula bar, and repeat for each data label. Alternatively, you can add a text box but it may not stay in place if the data changes.
SherlockOhms
I'm modelling the Diesel cycle using excel and I'd like to have the 4 different states numbered on my P-v diagram. I can mark these four points using shapes, but I'm not sure how to do it using numbers instead of these markers. Can this be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can add a text box wherever you want one

you can select the series, add data labels; then, select the data labels (one click), then, click again on the one data label you want to modify, then, click in the formula bar and type your desired label in there, press enter.

my 2 cents but I am a pretty ignorant excel non-user

Adding the text box won't work as the data can be changed by the user so the graph points may move, thus moving away from the text boxes. I've tried the second way and that doesn't really do anything. I may not be doing it properly though. Inputting a label in the formula bar doesn't output anything to the graph.

1.-go to graph
2.-click on series once to select it
3.-right-click and pick "Add Data Labels"
4.-click on any data label to select ALL data labels
5.-click once more on a single data label so that only that one remains selected
6.-click on the formula bar and enter the new label, press enter
7.-single click on the next data label, go back to 6

Yes, it is possible to use numbers as markers in excel to label the four different states on your P-v diagram. To do so, you can follow these steps:

1. Select the shape that you have already placed on the diagram.
2. Right-click on the shape and select "Format Shape" from the drop-down menu.
3. In the "Format Shape" menu, go to the "Number" tab.
4. Select the "Custom" category and enter the number that you want to use as a marker in the "Format Code" box.
5. Click "Add" and then "OK" to save the changes.
6. Repeat this process for the other shapes that you want to label with numbers.

This will allow you to use numbers instead of shapes as markers on your P-v diagram. You can also change the font, size, and color of the numbers to make them more visible and easier to read.

FAQ: Using numbers as markers in excel.

1. How do I use numbers as markers in Excel?

To use numbers as markers in Excel, simply type the numbers into the cells where you want them to appear. You can also use the "Number" formatting option to customize the appearance of the numbers.

2. Can I use numbers as markers in Excel for data visualization?

Yes, numbers can be used as markers in Excel for data visualization. You can assign different colors or symbols to different numbers to represent different data points. This can be useful for creating charts and graphs.

3. Is there a limit to the number of markers I can use in Excel?

No, there is no limit to the number of markers you can use in Excel. You can use as many numbers as you need to accurately represent your data.

4. How can I label my markers in Excel?

To label your markers in Excel, you can use the "Insert" tab and select "Text Box" to add text to your spreadsheet. You can then move the text box to the desired location and type in your label.

5. Can I use letters or symbols as markers in Excel instead of numbers?

Yes, you can use letters or symbols as markers in Excel. Simply type in the desired character or symbol into the cell where you want it to appear. You can also use the "Symbol" option in the "Insert" tab to add special characters.