Using Parametrics to Draw a Picture Advice

• Thread starter Skyler0114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation is about a math project involving drawing an image with parametric equations. The person wants to create a simplified version of "Starry Night" and is looking for programs to graph multiple parametrics on different intervals of t. They also ask for suggestions on functions that approach 1 for a small interval of t and are almost 0 for all other intervals, as well as functions that approach t and are either 1 or 0 at all other values. They also ask for general parametric functions to represent each petal in the image. One person suggests using a graphic program to draw the functions, while another suggests using polygons, spirals, or circle fragments. The original person also mentions the possibility of using a binary
Skyler0114
Disclaimer: Even though this problem originates from a project I was given in a math class, it doesn't really follow the format of any homework assignment and is really much more about general math question.
In my math class I was given a project to draw an image with parametric equations.
I want to have a bit of fun with this. I was looking into doing a simplified version of starry night based off this picture:
starrynight.GIF

I have to represent my drawing with a single equation, but I can define different equations on different intervals of t, so that's not a real problem.
I wanted to ask several general questions to get this project underway.
1. are there any programs you guys can point me to in order to graph a lot of parametrics each on different intervals of t.
2. are there any functions you guys can think of that approach 1 for a very small interval of t and is almost 0 for all other intervals of t.
3. same as second except approaches t and is 1 at all other values.
4. same as second except approaches t and is 0 at all other values.
5. Any ideas for a good set of general parametric functions to represent each petal in the tower. A function that I can then modify the intervals/equations to make most of the rest.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A graphic program to draw functions and relations such as graph.exe should do, but to insert all those tiny fractions is cruel. And don't you need two parameters instead of just one? You can code the entire picture by polygons, spiral or circle fragments etc., but that seems not really manageable.

Maybe it's faster to generate a binary scan and encode the result.

Related to Using Parametrics to Draw a Picture Advice

What is parametric drawing?

Parametric drawing is a method of creating a picture or design using mathematical equations and parameters to plot points and curves. This allows for precise control and customization of the image.

What are the benefits of using parametric drawing?

Using parametrics to draw a picture allows for precise control over the image, as well as the ability to easily make changes and adjustments. It also allows for complex and intricate designs to be created with ease.

Do I need to be good at math to use parametric drawing?

While having a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and equations can be helpful, it is not necessary to be a math expert to use parametric drawing. Many software programs have user-friendly interfaces that make it easy for anyone to use.

What tools or software are needed for parametric drawing?

There are many software programs available for parametric drawing, such as Rhino, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks. These programs often have specific tools and features for creating parametric designs, making the process easier and more efficient.

Can parametric drawing be used for more than just pictures?

Yes, parametric drawing can be used for a variety of applications such as engineering and architecture. It is a versatile tool that allows for precise and customizable designs in many different fields.