Using Properties of Real Numbers: Justifying Equalities

In summary, the equalities are justified by using the properties of real numbers, specifically the associative and commutative laws for addition, as well as the axioms of real numbers. Each step is justified by stating which axiom is used.
paulmdrdo1
justify each of the steps in the following equalities.

i don't know where to start. what i know is i have to use properties of real numbers. please help!

1. $\displaystyle \left ( x+3 \right )\left(x+2\right)\,=\,\left ( x+3 \right )x+\left ( x+3 \right )2\,=\,\left ( x^2+3x \right )+\left ( 2x+3*2 \right ) $

2. $\displaystyle \left(3x^2+2\right)+\left(x^2+2x\right)\,=\,\left(\left (3x^2+2\right)+x^2\right)\,=\,\left(x^2+\left(3x^2+2\right)\right)+2x$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
2. $\displaystyle \left(3x^2+2\right)+\left(x^2+2x\right)\,=\,\left(\left (3x^2+2\right)+x^2\right)\,=\,\left(x^2+\left(3x^2+2\right)\right)+2x$
Apart from missing the 2x term in the middle expression (a typo I presume) this is just regrouping using the associative and commutative laws for addition.

-Dan

I am not sure which properties are meant, but you probably should study the axioms of real numbers (see, e.g., http://www.calvin.edu/~rpruim/courses/m361/F03/overheads/real-axioms-print-pp4.pdf). Then study https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/5700/. For each equality, you have to say which axiom is used.

FAQ: Using Properties of Real Numbers: Justifying Equalities

What are the properties of real numbers?

The properties of real numbers include closure, commutativity, associativity, identity, inverse, and distributivity.

What is the closure property of real numbers?

The closure property states that when two real numbers are added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided, the result is always a real number.

What is the identity property of real numbers?

The identity property states that when a real number is added to or multiplied by 0, the result is that same real number. For addition, the identity element is 0 and for multiplication, the identity element is 1.

What is the inverse property of real numbers?

The inverse property states that for every real number, there exists another real number that when added to or multiplied by the first number, results in the identity element. For addition, the inverse of a number is its negative and for multiplication, the inverse of a number is its reciprocal.

What is the distributive property of real numbers?

The distributive property states that when multiplying a real number by the sum or difference of two other real numbers, the result is equal to the sum or difference of the products of the first number multiplied by each of the other numbers.