Using radicals in trig, and their conversions

In summary, the student is trying to find the cosine of 105 degrees. They know up to this point and are lost when trying to convert radical values into cosines. They need help from someone who can convert radicals into cosines and then help them plot the data on a graph.
moe11

Homework Statement

find the exact value of cos105 deg

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i know up to

cos(45+60)= cos45cos60-sin45sin60
i get lost with the converstions to radical numbers, for example sgrt(2/2) or sqrt2.
how do i convert into radicals, and how do i convert out of out of them. once i know that, i can finish solving.

I was wondering if someone could guide me through the steps or provide a link doing that. Thanks a lot everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is what you're asking for:

Assuming x,y non-negative:

Product rule:
[tex] \sqrt{x}\sqrt{y} = \sqrt{xy} [/tex]

Quotient rule:
[tex] \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{y}} = \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}} [/tex]

kidmode01 said:
I think this is what you're asking for:

Assuming x,y non-negative:

Product rule:
[tex] \sqrt{x}\sqrt{y} = \sqrt{xy} [/tex]

Quotient rule:
[tex] \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{y}} = \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}} [/tex]

your close, but that's not really what I am looking for. basically if you were trying to solve that problem, where would you go from where i left it?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are looking for from us. If it were me, I would replace each of the sine and cosines by their corresponding radical values and then simplify. You should know what the values are from the special 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 right triangles.

You should have memorized the value of things like sin(45), cos(45), sin(60), cos(60) simply replace the trig function with its value at the specified point. You should also memorize the radian value of angles in degrees.

so you should know:

45deg = [itex] \frac {\pi} 4 [/itex]

and that:

Sin(45) = sin [itex]( \frac {\pi} 4) = \frac { \sqrt {2}} 2 [/itex]

Exact values for certain simple angles (including the ones you are looking for) can be found here. You can also derive them geometrically by drawing triangles and using Pythagoras' law.

Integral said:
You should have memorized the value of things like sin(45), cos(45), sin(60), cos(60) simply replace the trig function with its value at the specified point. You should also memorize the radian value of angles in degrees.

so you should know:

45deg = [itex] \frac {\pi} 4 [/itex]

and that:

Sin(45) = sin [itex]( \frac {\pi} 4) = \frac { \sqrt {2}} 2 [/itex]

yes thank you, that's what i need to know, how do you go from pi/4 to the radical? or any other radian measure to a radical?

Sjorris said:
Exact values for certain simple angles (including the ones you are looking for) can be found here. You can also derive them geometrically by drawing triangles and using Pythagoras' law.

your link doesn't seem to work, if yo ucould provide me with it I am sure it will help a lot. thank you.

I hate to redirect you away from physics forums but the Wikipedia article on the unit circle contains a picture of the unit circle with the values your looking for with an explanation of why they are in the form (cos(t),sin(t)).

ie:

cos(60) = cos(pi/3) = 1/2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle

moe11 said:
your link doesn't seem to work, if yo ucould provide me with it I am sure it will help a lot. thank you.

My bad, this is the correct link.

moe11 said:

Homework Statement

find the exact value of cos105 deg

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i know up to

cos(45+60)= cos45cos60-sin45sin60
i get lost with the converstions to radical numbers, for example sgrt(2/2) or sqrt2.
how do i convert into radicals, and how do i convert out of out of them. once i know that, i can finish solving.

I was wondering if someone could guide me through the steps or provide a link doing that. Thanks a lot everyone.

you are on the right track, but you need to use the right formula which tells you exactly what to do and don't forget your signs according to where the angle is located and its function in that certain quadrant.
now you assign one side as (cos(45+60)= cos45cos60-sin45sin60) α &β then you need to plot them on the graph and then you go from there.

FAQ: Using radicals in trig, and their conversions

1. What are radicals in trigonometry and why are they important?

Radicals in trigonometry are expressions that contain a square root of a number. They are important because they allow us to solve for unknown sides and angles in triangles using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do you convert a radical to a decimal?

To convert a radical to a decimal, you can use a calculator to find the square root of the number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, so the decimal form of √9 would be 3.

3. Can you simplify radicals?

Yes, radicals can be simplified by finding perfect square factors of the number under the radical. For example, the square root of 18 can be simplified to √9√2, which is equal to 3√2.

4. How do you solve equations with radicals?

To solve equations with radicals, isolate the radical on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the radical. Repeat this process until the radical is eliminated and you are left with a solution for the variable.

5. What is the relationship between radicals and the unit circle?

Radicals are closely related to the unit circle in trigonometry. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, and it is used to define the values of trigonometric functions. The values of sine, cosine, and tangent can be represented as fractions with radicals on the unit circle.