Using Relay Feedback to Tune PID Gains

In summary, relay feedback is a method used in creating an automatic tuner for the differential, integral, and proportional gains in a PID control. It involves using a relay to provide feedback on the system's response and adjusting the gains accordingly. This method can be researched through various sources, such as the Google search results provided.
backtuck180

Homework Statement

What is relay feedback? I have to use it to create an automatic tuner for the differential, integral, and proportional gains in a PID control.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
backtuck180 said:

Homework Statement

What is relay feedback? I have to use it to create an automatic tuner for the differential, integral, and proportional gains in a PID control.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, but I googled relay feedback, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?source...F-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=relay+feedback

The first hit on the list looks to be a pretty informative paper.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

FAQ: Using Relay Feedback to Tune PID Gains

1. What is relay feedback and how does it work?

Relay feedback is a method of obtaining information about a system's dynamics by alternating between two states. In the context of PID tuning, it involves switching a control signal between high and low values and observing the system's response. This response is used to estimate the system's gain and time constant, which can then be used to tune the PID gains.

2. How does using relay feedback compare to other methods of PID tuning?

Relay feedback offers a simple and efficient way to tune PID gains without the need for complex mathematical models or extensive testing. It also allows for quick adjustments to be made, making it a popular choice for real-time applications.

3. Can relay feedback be used for any type of system?

Relay feedback can be used for a wide range of systems, including linear and nonlinear systems. However, it is most effective for systems with a known input-output relationship and a relatively steady-state response.

4. Are there any limitations to using relay feedback for PID tuning?

One limitation of using relay feedback is that it may not produce accurate results for systems with significant noise or disturbances. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with highly nonlinear dynamics or those with long time constants.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of PID gains obtained through relay feedback?

To ensure the accuracy of PID gains obtained through relay feedback, it is important to carefully choose the amplitude and frequency of the relay signal. Additionally, performing multiple runs and averaging the results can help to reduce any errors or discrepancies in the estimated gains.