Using the Definition: Showing $u \in C^0 [0,1]$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: That is, show that for any $x$ there exists a $y$ such that $u(x+h)-u(x)$ is continuous at $y$?Yes, we could do this by using the fact that a function is absolutely continuous if and only if there exists a sequence in the space $W^{1,p}(0,1)$ such that each $x_i\in W^{1,p}(0,1)$ and $|u(x_i)-u(x)|<\epsilon$ for all $i$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show the embedding $W^{1,p}(0,1) \subset C^0 [0,1]$.

So we pick a $u \in W^{1,p}(0,1)$ and want to show that $u \in C^0 [0,1]$.

Let $x_n \to x$. We want to show that $u(x_n) \to u(x)$.

Since $u \in W^{1,p}(0,1)$ we have that $u \in L_p$ and $u' \in L_p$.

And you told me to use the fact that $u(x+h)-u(x)=\int_{x}^{x+h} u'(t) dt$.

We know that a function $f$ is continuous in $x_0$ if $\forall \epsilon>0 \exists \delta>0$ such that $\forall y \in [x,x+h]$ with $|y-x_0|< \delta$ it holds that $|f(y)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon$.

Can we use this definition for $f=u, x_0=x, y=x+h$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show the embedding $W^{1,p}(0,1) \subset C^0 [0,1]$.

So we pick a $u \in W^{1,p}(0,1)$ and want to show that $u \in C^0 [0,1]$.

Let $x_n \to x$. We want to show that $u(x_n) \to u(x)$.

Since $u \in W^{1,p}(0,1)$ we have that $u \in L_p$ and $u' \in L_p$.

And you told me to use the fact that $u(x+h)-u(x)=\int_{x}^{x+h} u'(t) dt$.

We know that a function $f$ is continuous in $x_0$ if $\forall \epsilon>0 \exists \delta>0$ such that $\forall y \in [x,x+h]$ with $|y-x_0|< \delta$ it holds that $|f(y)-f(x_0)|< \epsilon$.

Can we use this definition for $f=u, x_0=x, y=x+h$ ?
An internet search shows that this result is not easy. It seems to require an application of the Sobolev embedding theorem to show that the function $u$ satisfies a Hölder continuity condition. That in turn implies continuity in the usual sense.

Difficulties in dealing with this problem include the facts that (1) the derivative $u'$ is defined in a weak, distributional, sense (if $u$ was differentiable in the classical sense then it would certainly be continuous); and (2) functions in the space $W^{1,p}(0,1)$ are only defined up to almost everywhere equivalence, so you may have to adjust them on a null set in order to make them continuous.

Opalg said:
An internet search shows that this result is not easy. It seems to require an application of the Sobolev embedding theorem to show that the function $u$ satisfies a Hölder continuity condition. That in turn implies continuity in the usual sense.

Difficulties in dealing with this problem include the facts that (1) the derivative $u'$ is defined in a weak, distributional, sense (if $u$ was differentiable in the classical sense then it would certainly be continuous); and (2) functions in the space $W^{1,p}(0,1)$ are only defined up to almost everywhere equivalence, so you may have to adjust them on a null set in order to make them continuous.

Couldn't we just show that $u$ is absolutely continuous?

Related to Using the Definition: Showing $u \in C^0 [0,1]$

1. What does it mean for a function to be in $C^0 [0,1]$?

Being in $C^0 [0,1]$ means that the function, $u$, is continuous on the interval $[0,1]$. This means that the function has no sudden jumps or breaks and can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

2. How is continuity of a function defined?

A function is continuous if for every point in its domain, the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, there are no abrupt changes or gaps in the graph of the function.

3. Why is it important for a function to be continuous?

Continuity of a function is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the function. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and can be manipulated algebraically.

4. How can we show that a function is in $C^0 [0,1]$?

To show that a function, $u$, is in $C^0 [0,1]$, we need to prove that it is continuous on the interval $[0,1]$. This can be done by checking that the limit of the function at every point in the interval is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What are the practical applications of functions in $C^0 [0,1]$?

Functions in $C^0 [0,1]$ have many practical applications, especially in the fields of engineering and physics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as the flow of fluids or the motion of objects. They also play a crucial role in calculus, where continuity is a fundamental concept.