Using the derivative of arcsine to solve for x

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: I know there is some out there for engineering but not sure if there are others.In summary, using the derivative of arcsine to solve for "x" you can calculate values for arc sine.
Sparky_
Using the derivative of arcsine to solve for "x"

Greetings,

How can I use:

[tex] \frac {d sin^-1(x)}{dx} = \frac {1}{\sqrt{(1-x^2)}} [/tex]

to calculate values for arc sine?

For example:

[tex] arcsin(x) = \int\frac {1}{\sqrt{(1-x^2)}} dx[/tex]

How can I use equation such that I enter “0.5” in for x and turn-the-crank and this equation spits out “30 degrees” or “0.524 radians”

Just curious.

Thanks
Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you have in mind by "turn-the-crank"? Assuming the range of the integral is (0,x) you need some sort of integration algorithm, like Simpson's rule. The answer will be in radians.

Since the integral would have a range - as you said (o,x).

will I be able to enter a single number and get the arcsine of that number -

I enter x=0.5 and integrate (somehow from x= 0.5 to 0.5 though I know this would give 0 - explanation help here??) and get 0.524 radians.

If I do x= some point to some other point, would that result not be the difference ini two arcsine's?

Thanks again

Sparky_ said:
Since the integral would have a range - as you said (o,x).

will I be able to enter a single number and get the arcsine of that number -

I enter x=0.5 and integrate (somehow from x= 0.5 to 0.5 though I know this would give 0 - explanation help here??) and get 0.524 radians.
No, from 0 to 0.5, not "0.5 to 0.5".

If I do x= some point to some other point, would that result not be the difference ini two arcsine's?
Yes, it would. And arcsin(0)= 0.

Thanks again

Mathman and HallsofIvy -

Thanks so much!

I'm going to play with this a little, I may have another question later.

I wish I had Mathcad and Mathmatica so I could "turn-the-crank" on the integration a little easier.

Does you know of any free / share ware out there that is can do some of the functions of mathcad / mathmatica.

Related to Using the derivative of arcsine to solve for x

What is the derivative of arcsine?

The derivative of arcsine is given by:
d/dx (arcsin(x)) = 1 / √(1 - x^2)

How do you use the derivative of arcsine to solve for x?

To solve for x using the derivative of arcsine, you can follow these steps:
1. Set the equation equal to y, such as y = arcsin(x).
2. Use the inverse function property to rewrite the equation as x = sin(y).
3. Take the derivative of both sides with respect to y.
4. Substitute the value for y with the value given in the equation.
5. Solve for x using algebraic manipulation.

Are there any restrictions when using the derivative of arcsine to solve for x?

Yes, there are restrictions when using the derivative of arcsine to solve for x. The value of x must be between -1 and 1, since the range of arcsine is limited to -π/2 to π/2.

Can the derivative of arcsine be used to solve for x in all types of equations?

No, the derivative of arcsine can only be used to solve for x in equations where arcsine is present. It cannot be used to solve for x in equations containing other trigonometric functions.

What are some real-world applications of using the derivative of arcsine to solve for x?

The derivative of arcsine has various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of an object moving in a circular motion or to find the angle of inclination for a ramp. It is also used in signal processing to analyze signals with sinusoidal components.