Using the divergence theorem to prove Gauss's law?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of E = - grad f over a sphere centered at the origin to solve for the constant q. The person suggests using the divergence theorem to solve it, but struggles to understand why the divergence of E would be zero when E is not a constant. After realizing an error in their calculations, they express gratitude for the help.
kittyset
Hello,

I've been struggling with this question:

Let q be a constant, and let f(X) = f(x,y,z) = q/(4pi*r) where r = ||X||. Compute the integral of E = - grad f over a sphere centered at the origin to find q.

I parametrized the sphere using phi and theta, crossed the partials, and got q, but I think there's another way using the divergence theorem, given as ∫∫E⋅ndσ = ∫∫∫ div E dV (sorry about the awkward symbol usage :/ ). I'm not sure what's going wrong with the following:

1. div grad f = div -E = div E = 0

2. ∫∫∫ div E dV = 0 ≠ q

I'm probably missing something super basic, but any hint would be a great help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say that div E = 0?
E = -grad f = ##-\begin{pmatrix} \frac{\partial }{\partial x } &\frac{\partial }{\partial y }& \frac{\partial }{\partial z }\end{pmatrix} \frac{q}{4\pi \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2 +z^2 } }. ##
This is not a constant, so why would the divergence be zero?

Likes kittyset
RUber said:
Why do you say that div E = 0?
E = -grad f = ##-\begin{pmatrix} \frac{\partial }{\partial x } &\frac{\partial }{\partial y }& \frac{\partial }{\partial z }\end{pmatrix} \frac{q}{4\pi \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2 +z^2 } }. ##
This is not a constant, so why would the divergence be zero?

Whoops, you're totally right. Found an error when i took the div. Thanks so much!

Related to Using the divergence theorem to prove Gauss's law?

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the volume enclosed by the surface.

2. How is the divergence theorem used to prove Gauss's law?

The divergence theorem is used to prove Gauss's law by showing that the flux of the electric field through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of Gauss's law in electromagnetism?

Gauss's law is one of the four Maxwell's equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is particularly useful in calculating the electric field due to a charge distribution and for determining the behavior of conductors in an electric field.

4. Can the divergence theorem be applied to any vector field?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be applied to any vector field, not just the electric field. It is a general principle in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field to the divergence of that field.

5. How does the divergence theorem relate to the concept of charge conservation?

The divergence theorem can be used to show that the total flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the sum of the fluxes through each individual surface enclosing a volume. This relates to the concept of charge conservation, as the total flux through a closed surface should always be equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface.