Using the Divergence Theorem to Solve Vector Calculus Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt at solving a problem involving tensors and the Divergence theorem. The attempt involved applying the Divergence theorem for Tensors, but it did not lead to a useful solution. One of the participants notes that \nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) = \frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}n_{1}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}n_{2} + \frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}n_{3}, but this does not lead anywhere near \nabla v. The other participant corrects this and states that \nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) =
SP90

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=47293&stc=1&d=1337106295.png

Homework Equations

So I have that [itex] v \otimes n = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
v_{1}n_{1} & v_{1}n_{2} & v_{1}n_{3} \\
v_{2}n_{1} & v_{2}n_{2} & v_{2}n_{3} \\
v_{3}n_{1} & v_{3}n_{2} & v_{3}n_{3} \end{array} \right)
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried applying the Divergence theorem for Tensors:
[itex]
\int_{\partial B} ( v \otimes n )n dA = \int_{B} \nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) dV
[/itex]

But that doesn't lead anywhere particularly useful. I thought it might be worth noting that [itex]\nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) = \frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}n_{1}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}n_{2} + \frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}n_{3}[/itex] but I can't seem to get anywhere near [itex]\nabla v[/itex]

And this problem isn't homework, it's just an optional exercise, but it's frustrated me for a while and I figured I should get some pointers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-15 at 19.24.21.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-15 at 19.24.21.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SP90 said:
I thought it might be worth noting that [itex]\nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) = \frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}n_{1}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}n_{2} + \frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}n_{3}[/itex] but I can't seem to get anywhere near [itex]\nabla v[/itex]

No it's not! I think you will find (assuming n is constant) that [itex] \nabla \cdot ( v \otimes n ) = n \cdot (\nabla v) + n (\nabla \cdot v) [/itex]

Especially note that it is a vector and not a scalar

Isn't [itex]\nabla \cdot v \otimes n = (n_{1}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}), n_{2}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}), n_{3}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}))[/itex]

Which is [itex]n \cdot \nabla v[/itex]?

This would make sense since it gives that

[itex]\int_{\partial B} ( v \otimes n )n dA = \int_{B} (\nabla v) ndV[/itex]

And then since n is just so constant vector, the result follows.

Is that right? Or am I missing something?

SP90 said:
Isn't [itex]\nabla \cdot v \otimes n = (n_{1}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}), n_{2}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}), n_{3}(\frac{dv_{1}}{dx_{1}}+\frac{dv_{2}}{dx_{2}}+\frac{dv_{3}}{dx_{3}}))[/itex]

Which is [itex]n \cdot \nabla v[/itex]?

This would make sense since it gives that

[itex]\int_{\partial B} ( v \otimes n )n dA = \int_{B} (\nabla v) ndV[/itex]

And then since n is just so constant vector, the result follows.

Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Of course not; you can't just get rid of the terms that give you trouble... This is what you need to show, but the formula I gave above is still correct.

Related to Using the Divergence Theorem to Solve Vector Calculus Problems

What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates a surface integral over a closed surface to a volume integral inside the surface. It is a fundamental tool in vector calculus and is used to convert a difficult surface integral into an easier volume integral.

What is the purpose of applying the divergence theorem?

The purpose of applying the divergence theorem is to simplify the calculation of a surface integral by converting it into a volume integral. This makes it easier to solve problems involving flows and fluxes in three-dimensional space.

Under what conditions can the divergence theorem be applied?

The divergence theorem can be applied to a vector field that is continuously differentiable and has a continuous first-order partial derivative. The surface must also be a closed surface, meaning it is a complete boundary of a three-dimensional region.

What are the steps to applying the divergence theorem?

The steps to applying the divergence theorem are as follows:

1. Identify the vector field and the closed surface over which the surface integral is to be calculated.
  2. Evaluate the divergence of the vector field.
  3. Convert the surface integral into a volume integral using the divergence theorem.
  4. Solve the volume integral to find the answer.

What are some practical applications of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, including calculating electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow rates, and heat transfer. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

Back