Using the Ratio Test to see if a series converges or diverges?

In summary, the Ratio Test for series is used to determine convergence or divergence of a series. For part (a), the limit of the sequence of partial sums was taken, and by comparing it to the series, it was determined that the series converges. For part (b), the ratio of ##a_{n+1}## and ##a_n## was calculated, and by overestimating the numerator, it was found that the series diverges. Therefore, the series in part (a) converges and the series in part (b) diverges.
lmstaples

Homework Statement

Use the Ratio Test for series to determine whether each of the following series converge or diverge. Make Reasoning Clear.

(a) [itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\frac{3^{n}}{n^{n}}[/itex]

(b) [itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\frac{n!}{n^{\frac{n}{2}}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]if\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}) < 1 \Rightarrow\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\:-\:converges[/itex]

[itex]if\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})\in[0,1)\Rightarrow \sum^{∞}_{n=1}\:-\:diverges[/itex]

[itex]0\leq \sum^{∞}_{n=1}(a_n)\leq \sum^{∞}_{n=1}(b_n)[/itex]
[itex]\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\vdots[/itex]
[itex]if\:\sum^{∞}_{n=1}(a_n)\:-\:diverges\:\Rightarrow\:\sum^{∞}_{n=1}(b_n)\:-\:diverges[/itex]

[itex]if\:\sum^{∞}_{n=1}(b_n)\:-\:converges\:\Rightarrow\:\sum^{∞}_{n=1}(a_n)\:-\:converges[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I let [itex]a_{n}[/itex] = sequence of partial sums then plugged everything into ratio test formula.

I ended up with:
[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})\:=\:3lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{n^{n}}{(n+1)(n+1)^{n}})[/itex]

I know that the limit equals 0 hence the series converges but not quite sure how to show that the limit cancels down to show 0 is "obvious"

Any help would be great, thanks.

(b) I let [itex]a_{n}[/itex] = sequence of partial sums then plugged everything into ratio test formula.

I ended up with:
[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})\:=\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{n(\frac{n}{n+1})^{\frac{n}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}})\:+\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{(n)^{\frac{n}{2}}}{(n+1)^{\frac{n}{2}}\sqrt{n+1}})[/itex]

I know that:

[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{n(\frac{n}{n+1})^{\frac{n}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}})\:=\:∞[/itex]

And that:

[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{(n)^{\frac{n}{2}}}{(n+1)^{\frac{n}{2}}\sqrt{n+1}})\:=\:0[/itex]

Hence the overall limit = ∞ and so the series diverges; but, once again I'm not quite sure how to show that how the limits cancels down to show ∞ and 0 is "obvious"

Once again, any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lmstaples said:

Homework Statement

Use the Ratio Test for series to determine whether each of the following series converge or diverge. Make Reasoning Clear.

(a) [itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\frac{3^{n}}{n^{n}}[/itex]

(b) [itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\frac{n!}{n^{\frac{n}{2}}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]if\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}) < 1 \Rightarrow\sum^{∞}_{n=1}\:-\:converges[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I let [itex]a_{n}[/itex] = sequence of partial sums then plugged everything into ratio test formula.

I ended up with:
[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})=3\lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{n^{n}}{(n+1)(n+1)^{n}})[/itex]

I know that the limit equals 0 hence the series converges but not quite sure how to show that the limit cancels down to show 0 is "obvious"
The ratio test doesn't use the sequence of partial sums. It just compares ##a_{n+1}## with ##a_n##. Your ratio of$$
\frac{3n^n}{(n+1)(n+1)^{n}}$$ is the right calculation. What happens if you overestimate the ##n^n## in the numerator with ##(n+1)^{n}##?
(b) I let [itex]a_{n}[/itex] = sequence of partial sums then plugged everything into ratio test formula.

I ended up with:
[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})\:=\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{n(\frac{n}{n+1})^{\frac{n}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}})\:+\:lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{(n)^{\frac{n}{2}}}{(n+1)^{\frac{n}{2}}\sqrt{n+1}})[/itex]

I know that:

[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{n(\frac{n}{n+1})^{\frac{n}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}})\:=\:∞[/itex]

And that:

[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow∞}(\frac{(n)^{\frac{n}{2}}}{(n+1)^{\frac{n}{2}}\sqrt{n+1}})\:=\:0[/itex]

Hence the overall limit = ∞ and so the series diverges; but, once again I'm not quite sure how to show that how the limits cancels down to show ∞ and 0 is "obvious"

Once again, any help would be great, thanks.

For (b) I get a ratio of$$
(n+1)^{\frac 1 2}\left(\frac n {n+1}\right)^{\frac n 2}$$The right half of that has something to do with the number ##e##. Is that enough of a hint?

Related to Using the Ratio Test to see if a series converges or diverges?

1. What is the Ratio Test?

The Ratio Test is a mathematical tool used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It is based on the comparison of the absolute values of successive terms in a series.

2. How does the Ratio Test work?

The Ratio Test works by taking the absolute value of the ratio between the (n+1)th term and the nth term in a series. If this ratio approaches a finite number as n approaches infinity, the series is convergent. If the ratio approaches infinity or is greater than 1, the series is divergent.

3. What is the formula for the Ratio Test?

The formula for the Ratio Test is:
limn→∞ |an+1/an| = L
where an is the nth term in the series and L is the limit of the ratio as n approaches infinity.

4. What are the conditions for the Ratio Test to be applicable?

The conditions for the Ratio Test to be applicable are:
1. The terms in the series must be non-zero.
2. The terms must be positive.
3. The series must be infinite.
4. The series must be a series of real numbers.

5. Are there any other tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence of a series?

Yes, there are other tests such as the Root Test, the Alternating Series Test, and the Comparison Test. The choice of which test to use depends on the specific series and the terms involved.