Using Trigonometry to Find Distance from a Flagpole on a Hill

In summary, the problem involves a woman standing on a hill and seeing a flagpole that is 60 ft tall. The angle of depression to the bottom of the pole is 14 degrees, and the angle of elevation to the top of the pole is 18 degrees. Using trigonometric functions, it can be determined that the distance from the pole (x) is approximately 104.485 ft. The problem can also be viewed as two separate right triangles, with the unknown distances being represented by y and z. The final equation to find x is x=60/(tan18 + tan14). The solution to this problem was achieved through careful consideration of the angles and using trigonometric functions.
LordofDirT
1. A woman standing on a hill sees a flagpole that she knows is 60 ft tall. The angle of depression to the bottom of the pole is 14 degrees, and the angle of elevation to the top of the pole is 18 degrees. Find her distance x from the pole.

2. I draw a diagram of the problem with a person on a hill looking straight out to the flagpole. This line I labeled x. I then drew an angle of elevation of 18 degrees to the top of the flagpole. and one of 14 to the bottom of the flagpole.

I made y=opposite leg of 18 degrees, and z=opposite leg of 14 degrees.

I know that y+z=60, y=60-z, and z=60-y

All I need to figure out is how to get either y or z, and then the problems a sinch.

Physics news on Phys.org
You almost have it,
Consider it as two separate right triangles.
Now find the height of the unknown segments of the pole ( from x-top and x-bottom ) in terms of the angle and X.
You also know that these two distances sum to be 60 so you should end up with two equations in only X that add to 60ft, then it's simple!

Post back if you need more details

think i got it...

I took the tangent of 18 degrees and ended up with the equation y=xtan18 for the leg of the top triangle, and the tangent of 14 degrees to get z=xtan14.

So I figured...

xtan18 + xtan14 = 60 to find x

x(tan18 + tan14) = 60

x=60/(tan18 + tan14)

x=104.485

2 sig figs so the distance should be 104 ft?

LordofDirT said:
x=104.485 ft.

That's fine!

2 sig figs so the distance should be 104 ft?

Well, 104 wouldn't be 2 sig-figs... In math problems of this sort, you don't really have to worry too much about significant figures. The angles, such as 18º, are taken to be exact, and so have unlimited significant figures. (The flagpole height of 60 ft. is ambiguous: that could be as few as one sig-fig, but you would be all right in taking it to be exact as well...) So you would be safe in giving the answer as 104 ft. or even 104.5 ft.

If this were a physics problem (or one where strict observation of significance had to be observed), we should state the answer as 1.0·10^2 feet for the two significant figures.

Thanks!

mgb_phys said:
You almost have it,
Consider it as two separate right triangles.
Now find the height of the unknown segments of the pole ( from x-top and x-bottom ) in terms of the angle and X.
You also know that these two distances sum to be 60 so you should end up with two equations in only X that add to 60ft, then it's simple!

Post back if you need more details

You know I think you were teating it like two right triangles. I think you were doing just fine. The thing that was implied but not said in the problem was that the point on the flagpole that was horizontal was known. What if it was not, but we knew that the angle from top to bottom was 32 deg.? You got me thinking. Very good post. Thanks.

Related to Using Trigonometry to Find Distance from a Flagpole on a Hill

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a triangle with one angle that measures exactly 90 degrees. It is also known as a 90-degree triangle.

What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical rule that states in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

How do you find the missing side lengths of a right triangle?

To find the missing side lengths of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem or trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, depending on the given information. If two side lengths are known, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the third side. If one side and one angle are known, you can use trigonometric functions to find the other side lengths.

What is SOH-CAH-TOA?

SOH-CAH-TOA is a mnemonic device used to remember the trigonometric ratios in a right triangle. "SOH" stands for sine equals opposite over hypotenuse, "CAH" stands for cosine equals adjacent over hypotenuse, and "TOA" stands for tangent equals opposite over adjacent. These ratios can be used to find the missing side lengths or angle measures in a right triangle.

What are the common applications of trigonometry in real life?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in real life, such as in engineering, architecture, navigation, and astronomy. It is used to calculate distances and heights, determine angles and trajectories, and design structures such as buildings and bridges. It is also used in everyday activities such as measuring heights and distances, and in sports such as golf and baseball for calculating angles and trajectories of shots.