Using vectors to calculate tension.

In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the tension on two chains holding a chandelier, with angles of 25° and 30° with the ceiling. The equations T_1*cos(25)=T_2*cos(30) and T_1*sin(25)+T_2*sin(30)=150 N are used to find the tensions, with T_1 being approximately 158.23 N and T_2 being approximately 166.14 N. The solution is confirmed to be correct, but there is no simple way to check it.
-Dragoon-
Alright, so this question was giving me problems and I made one up to solve for practice, but I have no way to check if I did it correctly, so I would appreciate if you could I did it correctly.

Homework Statement

A 150N chandelier is suspended from a ceiling at a single point by two chains that make angles of 25° and 30° with the ceiling. Calculate the tension on each chain.

Homework Equations

[tex]T_{1}\cos{25} = T_{2}\cos{30}[/tex]
[tex]T_{1}\sin{25} + T_{2}\sin{30} = 150 N[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I'll label the chain that makes an angle of 25° with the ceiling be T_1 and the chain that makes an angle of 30° with the ceiling be T_2
First I decide to solve for T_2 by using the first equation:
[tex]T_{1}\cos{25} = T_{2}\cos{30}[/tex]
[tex]T_{2} = \frac{T_{1}\cos{25}}{\cos{30}}[/tex]
[tex]T_{2} = 1.05T_{1}[/tex]
Now I substitute this into the second equation:
[tex]T_{1}\sin{25} + 1.05T_{1}\sin{30} = 150 N[/tex]
[tex]0.423T_{1} + 0.525T_{1} = 150[/tex]
After doing simple algebra, I yield:
[tex] T_{1} \approx 158.23 N[/tex]
Now to substitute this to find the tension of the other chain:
[tex]T_{2} = 1.05(158.23N) => T_{2} \approx 166.14 N[/tex]

Therefore, the tensions in the two chains are approximately 166.14 N and 158.23 N. Did I do this correctly? Thanks in advance. Also, what would be an efficient way of checking my solution is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct.
No way of simple checking. The problem is simple itself :)

Quinzio said:
It's correct.
No way of simple checking. The problem is simple itself :)

Thank you for the help.

FAQ: Using vectors to calculate tension.

1. How do you calculate tension using vectors?

To calculate tension using vectors, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the force acting on an object. Then, use the vector addition or subtraction formula to find the net force on the object. The magnitude of the net force is equal to the tension in the rope.

2. What is the difference between tension and force?

Tension is a specific type of force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched by a rope, cable, or other similar object. It is a reaction force that occurs in response to an applied force. Force, on the other hand, is a general term that describes any push or pull acting on an object.

3. Can tension ever be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. It is always a positive value because it represents the force that is pulling or stretching an object. If a rope or cable is being pulled in the opposite direction, the tension would still be positive, but the direction of the force would be negative.

4. How do you find the direction of tension using vectors?

The direction of tension can be found by drawing a free body diagram of the object and its surrounding forces. The direction of tension will be opposite to the direction of the force being applied to the object. In vector notation, this would be represented by a negative sign in front of the tension magnitude.

5. Can tension be greater than the applied force?

No, tension cannot be greater than the applied force. Tension is a reaction force that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the applied force. Therefore, the magnitude of the tension cannot be greater than the magnitude of the applied force.

Back