V / F constant control of induction motor with inverter

In summary, the conversation discussed the symbols V~ and A~ and their meanings, as well as the reason for the output voltage of a converter being larger than that of an inverter. It was explained that the output voltage of the converter is a DC voltage, while the output voltage of the inverter is an AC voltage. However, with the right design, it is possible to have an output voltage that is either greater or less than the input voltage. The reason for the output voltage of the converter being larger is because it is the supply voltage for the inverter and the output voltage cannot exceed the supply voltage.
MissP.25_5
Hello. I have to do an experiment on this topic, but there are many things I don't know. First of all, can you tell me what do the symbols V~ and A~ mean?

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone tell me why is the output voltage of the converter bigger than the output voltage of the inverter? The output voltage of the converter would be a DC voltage whereas the output voltage of the inverter would be an AC voltage.

MissP.25_5 said:
Hello. I have to do an experiment on this topic, but there are many things I don't know. First of all, can you tell me what do the symbols V~ and A~ mean?

AC volts and AC current.

MissP.25_5 said:
Can someone tell me why is the output voltage of the converter bigger than the output voltage of the inverter? The output voltage of the converter would be a DC voltage whereas the output voltage of the inverter would be an AC voltage.

Why shouldn't it be?

rude man said:
Why shouldn't it be?

Hmmm, I guess the reason is the output voltage of the converter is the supply voltage for the inverter and output voltage can never exceed the input voltage. But I am not sure if that's enough reason for that.

MissP.25_5 said:
output voltage can never exceed the input voltage. But I am not sure if that's enough reason for that.

?

You can get any output voltage > or < input voltage with the right design.

For example, I have an inverter sitting in my garage that converts 12 VDC from a car battery to 115V AC 60 Hz to drive my TV set etc. if there is a power outage in my house.

rude man said:
?

You can get any output voltage > or < input voltage with the right design.

For example, I have an inverter sitting in my garage that converts 12 VDC from a car battery to 115V AC 60 Hz to drive my TV set etc. if there is a power outage in my house.

But the supply voltage, which is the output voltage of the converter should be bigger than the output voltage of the inverter, right? That's my question and I am trying to find the reason for that. I just guess that it's because the output voltage can't exceed the voltage supply. I said input earlier, I meant to say supply.

Related to V / F constant control of induction motor with inverter

1. What is V/F constant control of induction motor with inverter?

V/F constant control of induction motor with inverter is a method of controlling the speed of an induction motor by changing the voltage and frequency of the power supply using an inverter. It is a popular method because it is simple and cost-effective compared to other speed control techniques.

2. How does V/F constant control work?

In this control method, the voltage and frequency supplied to the motor are varied in proportion to each other to maintain a constant ratio (V/F). This keeps the magnetic flux in the motor constant and allows for smooth and stable speed control.

3. What are the advantages of V/F constant control?

V/F constant control is a simple and cost-effective method, making it a popular choice for controlling the speed of induction motors. It also provides smooth and accurate speed control, improved energy efficiency, and reduced wear and tear on the motor.

4. Are there any limitations to V/F constant control?

While V/F constant control is a reliable and widely used method, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for applications that require high precision or very low speeds, and the motor may experience torque and current fluctuations at high speeds.

5. How is V/F constant control different from other speed control techniques?

V/F constant control is different from other speed control techniques in that it does not require complex control algorithms or feedback mechanisms. It also does not require special motor design or modifications, making it a more cost-effective option for many applications.