Q: How does short circuiting affect the potential difference in a circuit?

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary: if the current is flowing the opposite direction (counterclockwise), then you have a negative current.
PainterGuy
"V=IR" and "short circuiting"

hello

Q1:
to find the potential difference across a resistor with resistance R the equation V=IR is used. suppose the resistor is connected to terminals "a" and "b"; and the current is flowing from the point "a" toward point "b". that means point "b" has less potential. but the equation "V=IR" only tells us about the overall potential difference without any regard whether the p.d. is from high to low or from low to high. it's like enclosing the p.d. with modulus "|IR|". but when it is written "V_ab = IR" then attention is given the fact if postential different is from low to high, or from high to low. if current is flowing from a to b, then "IR" would be "-ive" and so on. is what i say correct? any help would be appreciated.

Q2:
when a battery's two terminals a and b are directly connected without any resistor. the current flows from a to b, and this is said to be short circuiting. electrons at point a has maximum potential and when they reach point b they almost have zero potential. i don't get that how we are sure that when electrons reach point b they has lost all their energy or potential. perhaps they still have some of the energy. could you please help me with this? any help is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't really understand your questions. However in the equation V=IR, V and R are given and I is the result. In a short circuit it means the current is infinite - that's why fuses blow or circuit breaker break.

painterguy said:
Q1:
to find the potential difference across a resistor with resistance R the equation V=IR is used. suppose the resistor is connected to terminals "a" and "b"; and the current is flowing from the point "a" toward point "b". that means point "b" has less potential. but the equation "V=IR" only tells us about the overall potential difference without any regard whether the p.d. is from high to low or from low to high. it's like enclosing the p.d. with modulus "|IR|". but when it is written "V_ab = IR" then attention is given the fact if postential different is from low to high, or from high to low. if current is flowing from a to b, then "IR" would be "-ive" and so on. is what i say correct? any help would be appreciated.
I'm not entirely sure I understand you either, but I think you do have a point that usually when applying Ohm's law, you do only calculate the magnitude of the voltage difference, and then you use physical reasoning to determine which end is at the higher potential. It'd probably be more technically correct to write it as ΔV=-IR, since the voltage decreases in the direction of current flow.

Hi. I have a question to do with V=IR.

fairly simple. when R = 0 then current should flow most freely. But by this formula then the voltage should be 0. . . . but don't we need a voltage for current to flow?

what am i missing?

thanks

No, V is fixed. V= I(0) simply means that I will be (almost) infinite. That's why short circuits are bad things!

painterguy said:
Q2:
when a battery's two terminals a and b are directly connected without any resistor. the current flows from a to b, and this is said to be short circuiting. electrons at point a has maximum potential and when they reach point b they almost have zero potential. i don't get that how we are sure that when electrons reach point b they has lost all their energy or potential. perhaps they still have some of the energy. could you please help me with this? any help is welcome.
"Potential energy", even electric potential as here, is not an absolute quantity but is always relative to some fixed value. Here, we know that the electrons' potential at point b is 0 because point b is the reference value. Its potential is, by definition, 0.

diazona said:
I'm not entirely sure I understand you either, but I think you do have a point that usually when applying Ohm's law, you do only calculate the magnitude of the voltage difference, and then you use physical reasoning to determine which end is at the higher potential. It'd probably be more technically correct to write it as ΔV=-IR, since the voltage decreases in the direction of current flow.

thank you. why delta (v) = -IR, what is reason for including minus sign? could you please tell me? big thanks.

As I said, you could justify the minus sign because the voltage decreases in the direction of current flow. So, first you pick a direction to be the positive direction along the wire. If the current is flowing in that direction, you have a positive current, but then moving in the positive direction, the voltage decreases, and it is common to represent a decrease in voltage by a negative number. However, it's conventional to write the equation without the minus sign and to use physical arguments to determine the direction.

A more precise analysis would use the differential form of Ohm's law,
[tex]\vec{E} = \rho\vec{J}[/tex]
Since the quantities involved here are vectors, there would be no ambiguity about the sign.

Related to Q: How does short circuiting affect the potential difference in a circuit?

What is V=IR and how does it relate to electricity?

V=IR is known as Ohm's Law and it is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between voltage (V), current (I), and resistance (R) in an electrical circuit. It states that the voltage (V) across a conductor is equal to the current (I) through the conductor multiplied by the resistance (R) of the conductor.

What happens when a circuit is short-circuited?

A short circuit occurs when there is a direct connection between two points in a circuit that are not meant to be connected. This causes a sudden increase in current flow, which can potentially damage the circuit or cause it to overheat and even catch fire.

How can short-circuiting be prevented?

Short-circuiting can be prevented by ensuring that the wiring and components in a circuit are properly insulated and there are no loose connections. Using fuses or circuit breakers can also help prevent short circuits by interrupting the flow of current in case of a fault.

Can a short circuit cause harm to individuals?

Yes, a short circuit can be dangerous and potentially harmful to individuals. It can cause electrical shocks, burns, or even start fires. It is important to take precautions and follow safety measures when dealing with electricity and electrical circuits.

How is short-circuiting different from an overload?

A short circuit occurs when there is a direct connection between two points in a circuit, causing a sudden increase in current flow. An overload, on the other hand, happens when there is too much current flowing through a circuit due to too many devices or appliances being connected. Both can be dangerous, but an overload is more likely to cause damage to the circuit while a short circuit can cause both damage and harm to individuals.