V": The Visitors Are Back in January!

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
In summary, "V" is a classic scifi-thriller miniseries that first aired in 1983 on NBC. The story follows a group of aliens known as the "Visitors" who come to Earth claiming to be friendly and offering advanced technology and medical cures. However, it is soon discovered that they have a darker agenda. ABC is planning to release a re-imagining of the series in January, and there are also plans for a movie adaptation. The new series is expected to be a hit, following in the footsteps of popular shows like Battlestar Galactica.
sanman
In 1983, the NBC network aired a scifi-thriller miniseries called "V", which I really enjoyed watching as a youngster.

The premise of the original show was about aliens calling themselves "Visitors", coming to Earth in the name of friendship and promising to help society progress, bringing great gifts of advanced technology and cures for medical diseases. They immediately form friendship associations, and even a youth movement, and soon even begin integrating themselves into governments around the world - all to better expedite the new era of progress, they claim. Some soon discover that the Visitors have a more secret, darker agenda.

Now the ABC network plans a re-imagining of this scifi classic, which it will begin airing in January:

Here is a clip which re-caps the original series:

And here is the intro for the old series, with its menacing theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GccknBnFfTk&feature=PlayList&p=BB7BB25C4FABD637&index=0&playnext=1

More info on the new series can be found here:

http://www.visitorsite.net/vcast.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember watching V when I was younger. Was a fantastic show from my recollection. (I was 10 or less when I watched it).

I really liked it, but it also instilled in me the need to closely check any beautiful women for latex overlays. :biggrin:
Willie was probably my favourite character. That was Robert Englund (Freddie Kruger from 'A Nightmare on Elm Street'). He was a retarded alien who just wanted to be friends with everyone. I remember a scene where he was rooting around in a dumpster calling 'Here, mousie', trying to catch his lunch.

Danger said:
I really liked it, but it also instilled in me the need to closely check any beautiful women for latex overlays. :biggrin:
Willie was probably my favourite character. That was Robert Englund (Freddie Kruger from 'A Nightmare on Elm Street'). He was a retarded alien who just wanted to be friends with everyone. I remember a scene where he was rooting around in a dumpster calling 'Here, mousie', trying to catch his lunch.

That wasn't Willie rooting through the dumpster looking for a 'mousie'. That was some other minor character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA1AZK-iCNc#t=1m36s

He was hungry after smoking some dope. In the novel, drugs like pot have a more potent effect on Visitors than on humans, even giving them hunger cravings stronger than humans would get. Some rebels were able to bribe Visitor personnel by supplying them with black market drugs.

Last edited:
"V", isn't that the show where the "visitors" would drink sour milk to get drunk?

drankin said:
"V", isn't that the show where the "visitors" would drink sour milk to get drunk?

Nope. Alien Nation.
Thanks for the tune-up, Sanman. I guess that they're right about the memory being the first to go... :redface:

Heh, that's okay, it's not like I remembered all that detail from so long ago. I only remember it now because I came across the series on youtube and re-watched it all last night. :wink:

Wow. This show may be worth watching.

Yup, I'm thinking that "V" will become the next Battlestar Galactica - ie. the next hot show on TV that wows audiences not just with its style but its thought-provoking content.

While Kenneth Johnson, the creator of the original show, has nothing to do with the new series, he is also trying to bring it to the big screen. I'll bet that if the new "V" does well, then Johnson's efforts for a big screen movie will get renewed backing, just as Glen Larson, the creator of the original BSG has gotten backing to create a big screen movie for BSG.

sanman said:
Yup, I'm thinking that "V" will become the next Battlestar Galactica - ie. the next hot show on TV that wows audiences not just with its style but its thought-provoking content.
That was my immediate thought watching the trailer. They want to ride the BSG coat tails.

Related to V": The Visitors Are Back in January!

What is "V": The Visitors Are Back in January?

"V": The Visitors Are Back in January is a television show that follows the story of human resistance against a race of aliens known as the Visitors, who have secretly infiltrated Earth with a hidden agenda.

When will "V": The Visitors Are Back in January air?

"V": The Visitors Are Back in January will air in January of [insert year]. The exact date and time may vary depending on your location and television provider.

Who are the main characters in "V": The Visitors Are Back in January?

The main characters in "V": The Visitors Are Back in January include Erica Evans, a FBI agent and leader of the human resistance; Anna, the leader of the Visitors; and Father Jack Landry, a priest who becomes involved in the resistance movement.

Do I need to watch the previous "V" series to understand "V": The Visitors Are Back in January?

No, "V": The Visitors Are Back in January is a reboot of the original "V" series and can be watched without any prior knowledge of the previous series.

What can I expect from "V": The Visitors Are Back in January?

"V": The Visitors Are Back in January will continue to explore themes of government corruption, manipulation, and the fight for freedom and survival against a powerful enemy. Viewers can also expect to see new twists and turns as the story unfolds.