Vacuum Energy - Pair Production Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses black hole evaporation, which is caused by the negative mass particle entering the black hole and its counterpart leaving as radiation. These particles are formed near the black hole by vacuum fluctuations, and while both particles are assumed to have positive mass, one may have less energy than the other due to the concept of local vs. global energy in general relativity. This can lead to the appearance of negative energy at infinity, which contributes to Hawking radiation. Virtual particles, although short-lived, play an important role in quantum gravity theories and have been confirmed through experiments such as the Casimir Effect and ee scattering. They are an artifact of the uncertainty principle and can also be described in terms
benk99nenm312
So, let's get this straight :smile:. Black hole evaporation is, by the layman's version, supposedly due to a negative mass particle entering the black hole, while it's counterpart leaves, as radiation. These particles are formed near the black hole by vacuum fluctuations (i.e. pair production). I'm not entirely certain, but when a pair is formed in vacuum fluctuations, I've always assumed they both had positive mass (since antimatter and matter both have positive mass when real). So I have a contradiction here. Is it something to do with the fact that they are virtual particles? But even so, what allows a virtual particle to have negative mass? What's going on here?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
benk99nenm312 said:
I'm not entirely certain, but when a pair is formed in vacuum fluctuations, I've always assumed they both had positive mass
Virtual particles can have pretty much any mass, positive, negative, imaginary if you want. The above description of BH evaporation entails the concept of local vs global energy in general relativity, which is yet another complication to the problem. Take it that way : the zero of energy is not the same on the horizon and at infinity. Among the two particles of the pair created, although both of them locally carry positive energy, one of them will have less energy than the other, and at infinity it looks like they carry nothing on average. So at infinity, it looks like the one carrying less energy, which is more likely to fall, actually carried negative energy.

Sorry, I know this is quite sketchy, but it's a long topic.

humanino said:
Among the two particles of the pair created, although both of them locally carry positive energy, one of them will have less energy than the other, and at infinity it looks like they carry nothing on average. So at infinity, it looks like the one carrying less energy, which is more likely to fall, actually carried negative energy.

I'm not sure I follow you here. Why would one particle have less energy than the other?

- yeah, this is a sketchy topic :smile:

Also, I think a problem is: what exactly do the virtual particles created by the vacuum fluctuations anhilate into? By that I mean, what comes out.. a virtual photon.. nothing..?

benk99nenm312 said:
I'm not sure I follow you here. Why would one particle have less energy than the other?
Usually we are given a background and a field on top of it. Then you Fourier transform your field and the proper modes with negative frequency are re-interpreted as anti-particle with positive energy. So the sketchy argument is that what is locally zero near the horizon allowing one to define antiparticle there does not trivially transport to infinity, because of a non-negligible contribution from the gravitational field itself. From infinity it looks like two particles (not able to tell antiparticles from particles) with positive energy, but one has less energy and is therefore more likely to fall. Eventually what comes out of the BH seems like a thermal radiation of both particles and antiparticles, measured at infinity.

I wish someone more competent could help.

You're doing fine :approve:, but i agree... where is everyone?

Virtual particles are an artifact of the uncertainty priciple. They don't last long enough to be of any real consequence. In most quantum gravity theories they are, however, of great importance.

Chronos said:
They don't last long enough to be of any real consequence.
This is a rather strange statement honestly speaking. Turn off first order corrections and pretty much all measurements in the realm of high energy physics are changed, I'm referring now to so-called radiative corrections. Historically, we obtained evidence for the correctness of renormalization thanks to them for instance. It is beyond my understanding that anyone would consider them "an artifact" without "any real consequence".

humanino said:
This is a rather strange statement honestly speaking. Turn off first order corrections and pretty much all measurements in the realm of high energy physics are changed, I'm referring now to so-called radiative corrections. Historically, we obtained evidence for the correctness of renormalization thanks to them for instance. It is beyond my understanding that anyone would consider them "an artifact" without "any real consequence".

Many physicists deny the existence of their own mathematical conclusions. However, without them, we wouldn't have an accurate explanation for electromagnetism. But, I don't want to talk about that. I was wondering if anyone had an answer to my question in post number 3, or 4 as seen numerically on the page.

I think it has something to do with Einstein's that equation E = mc^2. Energy in some(?) form is converted to mass when that pair is produced. Someone please support that! or correct me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Virtual particles are an artifact of the uncertainty priciple. They don't last long enough to be of any real consequence. In most quantum gravity theories they are, however, of great importance.

no they are a mathematical artifact by perturbation formulation of a calculation in QFT.

Another failed attempt at humor. Pair production is only relevant under unusual circumstances - like near the event horizon of a black hole. It also manifests itself as the casimir effect. It is undoubtedly real and well confirmed by experimental evidence. Virtualy particles ordinarily self annihilate, crashing one into the other. Near an event horizon, the 'positive' energy particle can escape, leaving the other particle holding the bag, so to speak. The event horizon thus effectively 'bleeds' energy over time [Hawking radiation]. An even weirder effect occurs in the case of Unruh radiation, but is equally well founded based on the same premises.

But then one can say that ee scattering is also proving the existence of virtual particles, of course Casimir Effect etc CAN BE EXPRESSED in terms of virtual particles, they can be formulated with different concepts, e.g. the Casimir effect can be formulated just using a zero-point energy. etc. Virtual particles are just a tool.

Chronos said:
Virtualy particles ordinarily self annihilate, crashing one into the other.

So, are you saying that nothing comes out of the annihilation?

I know virtual particles are a tool, but I'm trying to understand whether empty space, consisting of a few virtual particle pairs, produces any energy.

benk99nenm312 said:
So, are you saying that nothing comes out of the annihilation?

I know virtual particles are a tool, but I'm trying to understand whether empty space, consisting of a few virtual particle pairs, produces any energy.

produces as in increasing the total energy? No

malawi_glenn said:
produces as in increasing the total energy? No

Interesting. So it's like a negative and positive mass virtual particle pair will completely annhilate, with nothing left over. Is that correct?

Energy is mass so net energy is the same all the time

malawi_glenn said:
Energy is mass so net energy is the same all the time

Well, I think I understand where you're coming from... this is a confusing subject for me. So, let's just say this. I have one virtual particle pair created in the vacuum. They annhilate. Would there be something that comes out of the annhilation, to balance the total energy of the virtual pair, or would they completely annhilate, leaving nothing to come out? (When I say come out, I mean like a photon, or a virtual photon).

Sorry, my knowledge on this subject is not great.

benk99nenm312 said:
Interesting. So it's like a negative and positive mass virtual particle pair will completely annhilate, with nothing left over. Is that correct?

they would produce energy, the amount of energy they got when they became "created" by the vacuum.

E = {pair created}: E_0 + E_virtual-pair ={pair annihilated}: E

malawi_glenn said:
they would produce energy, the amount of energy they got when they became "created" by the vacuum.

E = {pair created}: E_0 + E_virtual-pair ={pair annihilated}: E

Oh, I see. So, in what form is that energy?

Is this dark energy?

benk99nenm312 said:
Oh, I see. So, in what form is that energy?

Is this dark energy?

No, or really I don't know in what "piece" the vacuum energy belongs to xD

malawi_glenn said:
No, or really I don't know in what "piece" the vacuum energy belongs to xD

Haha. Does anyone? Or is it not known yet?

benk99nenm312 said:
Haha. Does anyone? Or is it not known yet?

Everything I know is that at least some cosmologists have tried to interpret the cosmological constant as the vacuum energy -> i.e. dark energy.

From wiki :
In physics, the word (annihilation) is used to denote the process that occurs when a subatomic particle collides with its respective antiparticle. Since energy and momentum must be conserved, the particles are not actually made into nothing, but rather into new particles. Antiparticles have exactly opposite additive quantum numbers from particles, so the sums of all quantum numbers of the original pair are zero. Hence, any set of particles may be produced whose total quantum numbers are also zero as long as conservation of energy and conservation of momentum are obeyed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sourabh N said:
From wiki :
In physics, the word (annihilation) is used to denote the process that occurs when a subatomic particle collides with its respective antiparticle. Since energy and momentum must be conserved, the particles are not actually made into nothing, but rather into new particles. Antiparticles have exactly opposite additive quantum numbers from particles, so the sums of all quantum numbers of the original pair are zero. Hence, any set of particles may be produced whose total quantum numbers are also zero as long as conservation of energy and conservation of momentum are obeyed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation"

which seems different from what is said above.

we were discussing virtual particles, not real particles

Sourabh N said:
oh my bad there:frown: sorry.

http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html#Hawkrad", by Steve Carlip, says the total energy is always zero, it was zero throughout the process.

Am I missing out again?

I just called it "E", the exact numerical value is not of interest to me here

Wait, hang on. For clarification purposes, I ask this question: is the value of the energy non-zero?

benk99nenm312 said:
Wait, hang on. For clarification purposes, I ask this question: is the value of the energy non-zero?

The vacuum energy in QFT is infinite, and in QFT with supersymmetry not-infinity.

What the author of that "article" has done is that he has shifted the energy axis so that vacuum energy is 0, hence we have renormalized the vacuum energy. In QFT with supersymmetry, we do not need to renormalize it.

malawi_glenn said:
Well this may be confusing. The definition of the vacuum to start with is the state with the lowest possible energy, and only energy differences matter : at this point with do not need perturbative methods. I think it is worth emphasizing before embarking into perturbative calculations of the energy of the fluctuations.

humanino said:
Well this may be confusing. The definition of the vacuum to start with is the state with the lowest possible energy, and only energy differences matter : at this point with do not need perturbative methods. I think it is worth emphasizing before embarking into perturbative calculations of the energy of the fluctuations.

I actually wrote something similar yesterday.. I thought it was in this particular thread.. that is why I wrote about perturbation calculations in my latest posts.. doh, I must get my memory back :D

Related to Vacuum Energy - Pair Production Confusion

What is vacuum energy?

Vacuum energy is a concept in quantum field theory that refers to the energy of empty space. According to quantum mechanics, even in a completely empty space, there are still fluctuations in the energy levels of particles and fields. This results in a small but non-zero energy density, known as vacuum energy.

What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in particle physics where a particle and its antiparticle are created from a single photon or from the energy of a strong electric field. This process is only possible in the presence of a strong electric field, and it is an example of the conversion of energy into matter.

What is the confusion surrounding vacuum energy and pair production?

The confusion surrounding vacuum energy and pair production arises from the fact that both concepts involve the creation of particles from energy. However, they are fundamentally different processes. Vacuum energy is a property of empty space, while pair production requires a strong electric field to occur.

How does vacuum energy relate to pair production?

Vacuum energy is often used to explain the spontaneous creation of particle-antiparticle pairs in empty space. This is because the energy density of vacuum energy is large enough to provide the necessary energy for the creation of these particles. However, vacuum energy itself does not directly cause pair production.

Can vacuum energy be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, there is no known practical application for vacuum energy. While it is a fascinating concept in theoretical physics, the energy density of vacuum energy is extremely small and would be difficult to harness for any practical purpose. It is also still a subject of ongoing research and there is much we still do not know about it.