Validity of Fresnel Approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fresnel approximation for spherical waves, specifically in relation to exercise 2.2-1 in the book "Fundamentals of Photonics" by B. Saleh. The goal is to determine the radius within which a spherical wave of wavelength λ = 633nm, originating at a distance of 1m, can be approximated by a paraboloidal wave. The conversation includes the relevant equations and the attempt at a solution, which involves solving for the radius and maximum angle using two simultaneous equations. The final answer is a radius of 0.04m and a maximum angle of 3.9°. The speaker also asks for feedback on their approach and if there are any errors.
the_godfather

Homework Statement

A friend of mine asked me on the Fresnel approximations earlier, and I couldn't really remember many of the details other than it was an approximation for spherical waves based on the Taylor series. So basically I had to look it up in a textbook.
One of the exercises (2.2-1) in the book fundamentals of photonics [b. saleh] was a question on the validity of the Fresnel approximation:
Determine the radius of a circle within which a spherical wave of wavelength λ = 633nm, originating a a distance 1m away, may be approximated by a paraboloidal wave. Determine the maximum angle θ and the Fresnel number N_f.

Homework Equations

a^4 << 4z^3λ

(N_f*θ^2) / 4 << 1

N_F = a^2 / λ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start as I don't really understand.
My initial thought was to calculate the Fresnel number using N_F = a^2 / λ. If I take the a (circle radius) as 1m. It's simple.
N_F = 1/633nm
I can then use N_F to find the maximum angle when the radius is 1m.
Now that seems way too simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing I need to use the two equations given to find the radius and the angle. So I set up two simultaneous equations:a^4 << 4z^3λand(N_f*θ^2) / 4 << 1I can then solve for a and θ. The first equation givesa^4 = 4z^3λa = (4z^3λ)^1/4 where z = 1mNow substituting this into the second equation gives θ = (4/N_f)^1/2Substituting N_f for 1/633nm gives θ = (4/1/633nm)^1/2θ = 0.068rad or 3.9°So the radius is 0.04m and the maximum angle is 3.9°Do I have this right? Any advice on where I went wrong or how I could improve my answer would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Validity of Fresnel Approximation

What is the Fresnel approximation?

The Fresnel approximation is a mathematical technique commonly used in optics to approximate the diffraction pattern of a wave passing through an aperture or around an obstacle.

How is the validity of the Fresnel approximation determined?

The validity of the Fresnel approximation is determined by comparing its results to those obtained using the more accurate Fraunhofer diffraction formula. If the difference between the two is negligible, then the Fresnel approximation is considered valid.

Under what conditions is the Fresnel approximation valid?

The Fresnel approximation is valid when the size of the aperture or obstacle is large compared to the wavelength of the wave passing through it. It is also valid for small angles of diffraction.

When is the Fresnel approximation not valid?

The Fresnel approximation is not valid when the size of the aperture or obstacle is small compared to the wavelength of the wave passing through it. It is also not valid for large angles of diffraction.

What are the limitations of the Fresnel approximation?

The main limitation of the Fresnel approximation is that it only provides accurate results for small angles of diffraction and for objects larger than the wavelength of the wave. It also does not take into account the effects of multiple reflections or diffractions.