Value of Herbal/Chemical Medicine

In summary, there is no advantage, from a chemist's or biochemist's view, to herbal medicine. Some of them do use the scientific method on a case by case study base, but I haven't found any that break down, at the chemical level, why the use of herbal medicine is beneficial as an alternative to modern, chemically based, medicines.
TJBPT
Is there any advantage, from a chemist's or biochemist's view, to herbal medicine. I know that chemical medications are often simply extractions of the chemicals of a plant that can be used to address the symptoms of a specific range of illnesses. Is there any proven or theoretical biochemical benefit to using herbal medicine.

-I have a relative who practices herbal medicine, and I have looked for good scientifically based books that discuss the subject, without much success. Some of them do use the scientific method on a case by case study base, but I haven't found any that break down, at the chemical level, why the use of herbal medicine is beneficial as an alternative to modern, chemically based, medicines.-

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Herbal medicine is often a complex soup of bioactive molecules. There have been efforts to understand the biochemistry of herbal remedies, but it's difficult to pinpoint what components are causing which effects. Some herbal components are beneficial while others are toxic.

Another caveat with herbal concoctions is that the concentration of the active ingredients are prone to change from batch to batch, while the strength of synthesized or extracted compounds can be controlled. Sometimes there is a fine line between a theraputic dose and one which does too little or which can cause harm.

... which of course isn't a problem with homeopathic herbal "medicine".:smile:

chemisttree said:
... which of course isn't a problem with homeopathic herbal "medicine".:smile:
Certainly not! That's the safest "medicine" in the world. Dare I say, as safe as water?

Don't underestimate water. Judging from casualties dihydrogen monoxide is one of the most dangerous chemicals on this planet.

Chemically speaking there is no difference between active substance present in herbal medicine and same substance present in a "normal" medicine.

I wonder if this is a genuine post, or is it someone trying to build links to herbal medicine site... So far no link present, but it can be just lack of signature. And the way OP is written - with repeated phrase "herbal medicine" - looks like a SEO attempt to me.

Related to Value of Herbal/Chemical Medicine

1. What is the difference between herbal and chemical medicine?

Herbal medicine uses natural substances from plants, while chemical medicine is made from synthetic or artificial substances. Herbal medicine has been used for centuries in traditional healing practices, while chemical medicine is a more recent development in modern medicine.

2. Are herbal medicines safe to use?

Just like with any medication, there are potential risks and side effects associated with herbal medicine. However, when used correctly and in the recommended doses, herbal medicine can be safe and effective. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using any herbal medicine to ensure it is safe for you.

3. How does herbal medicine work?

Herbal medicine works by using the natural compounds found in plants to interact with the body's systems and promote healing. These compounds can have various effects on the body, such as reducing inflammation, boosting the immune system, or improving digestion.

4. What conditions can herbal medicine treat?

Herbal medicine has been used to treat a wide range of conditions, including pain, inflammation, digestive issues, and respiratory problems. However, it is important to note that herbal medicine should not replace traditional medical treatments and should only be used as a complementary therapy.

5. Is there scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of herbal medicine?

There is a growing body of research on herbal medicine, and many studies have shown promising results for its effectiveness in treating various conditions. However, more research is still needed to fully understand the mechanisms and potential benefits of herbal medicine. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional and do thorough research before using herbal medicine for any medical condition.

Back