Value of x for which f(x) is undefined

• Thread starter Richie Smash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: For many problems like this, a rational function will be undefined for any input value that makes the denominator zero. Other things to look out for are square root and even-root functions for which the argument is negative, or log functions for which the argument is nonpositive.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Given [tex]f(x)=\frac{3x-2}{x+1}[/tex]
Calculate the value of x, for which f(x) is undefined.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I've never come across this before and I'm not finding anything on the internet, I would post my attempt but the problem is I don't know where to start.

What does it mean by undefined, my best guess is that it isn't equal to anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:

Homework Statement

Given [tex]f(x)=\frac{3x-2}{x+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I've never come across this before and I'm not finding anything on the internet, I would post my attempt but the problem is I don't know where to start.

What does it mean by undefined, my best guess is that it isn't equal to anything?
One definition of undefined would be f(x) = ∞

What value of x would satisfy that?

Well, if y=∞, then it would the be everything above 0 and also including 0?

berkeman said:
One definition of undefined
I just realized the irony in my reply... o0)

Richie Smash said:
Well, if y=∞
y? Why y?

Because f(x) can be represented as y as far as I know.

Richie Smash said:
Because f(x) can be represented as y as far as I know.
y didn't you show that in your post? y, oh y?!

Anyway, only where the function goes to infinity would it be considered "undefined". And that would be where?

berkeman said:
y didn't you show that in your post? y, oh y?!

Anyway, only where the function goes to infinity would it be considered "undefined". And that would be where?

Hmm well it has to be from.. 0 to infinity.

Richie Smash said:
Hmm well it has to be from.. 0 to infinity.

Richie Smash said:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{3x-2}{x+1}[/tex]
So x=-1 gives f(x) = infinity, why is that?

Because you'd end up dividing by 0

Richie Smash said:
What does it mean by undefined

It means that in order to calculate the value of ##f(x)##, you would have to perform a mathematical operation that is not allowed. A value of ##x## has already been mentioned that would require you to do that. (Hint: the expression ##f(x) = \infty## is really a sloppy way of saying "you would have to perform a mathematical operation that is not allowed". And you've already mentioned the operation as well.)

Richie Smash said:
Because f(x) can be represented as y

This is just playing with symbols; it has no mathematical meaning. You already have an expression for ##f(x)##; you don't need any other symbols.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
So x=-1 gives f(x) = infinity, why is that?
No, not true.
If x = -1, there is division by zero, making the fraction undefined. f(-1) is not ##\infty##.
Looking a bit ahead from the scope of the OP's problem, as x approaches -1 from the left, you get completely different values from when x approaches -1 from the right. On one side of -1, the graph of this function goes off to ##-\infty## while on the other side of -1, the graph goes off to ##+\infty##.

Likes berkeman
OK I see that -1 is the answer, as it will indeed make the function undefined, but my problem is I'm just guessing a number and putting it in the function, how do I actually calculate it?

Richie Smash said:
Given ##f(x)=\frac{3x-2}{x+1}##
Richie Smash said:
OK I see that -1 is the answer, as it will indeed make the function undefined, but my problem is I'm just guessing a number and putting it in the function, how do I actually calculate it?
What's to guess? Division by zero is undefined, so what value of x causes the fraction to be undefined? In your problem, the denominator is zero when x + 1 = 0, or equivalently, when x = -1.

For many problems like this, a rational function will be undefined for any input value that makes the denominator zero. Other things to look out for are square root and even-root functions for which the argument is negative, or log functions for which the argument is nonpositive.

Last edited:
Likes Richie Smash

Related to Value of x for which f(x) is undefined

1. What is the meaning of "undefined" for a function?

When a function is said to be undefined, it means that there is no output or y-value for a certain input or x-value. This can happen when the function has a division by zero or when the input is not in the domain of the function.

2. Why is it important to know the value of x for which a function is undefined?

Knowing the value of x for which a function is undefined is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential issues or limitations. It also allows us to determine the domain of the function and ensure that we are using appropriate inputs.

3. How can we find the value of x for which a function is undefined?

To find the value of x for which a function is undefined, we can set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for x. This will give us the value(s) of x that make the function undefined.

4. Can a function be undefined at more than one value of x?

Yes, a function can be undefined at more than one value of x. This can happen when the function has multiple points where the denominator is equal to zero, or when the function has a vertical asymptote.

5. What should we do if we encounter a function that is undefined for a certain value of x?

If we encounter a function that is undefined for a certain value of x, we should first check our calculations to ensure that there are no errors. If the function is still undefined, we can analyze the graph of the function to understand its behavior and determine if there are any discontinuities or asymptotes. We can also seek assistance from a math tutor or professor for further clarification.