Valuing a Forward Contract with Multiple Trading Price Probabilities

• MHB
  • Thread starter nickoh
  • Start date
In summary, the risk free rate is 10% and the underlier is trading at $100. It is expected to trade at either $90 or $120 at the end of the period. The forward asset price in the contract is $110. To find the no-arbitrage value of a forward contract on the underlier, the student would do this:Traded value at end of period - Actual value at end of period. -Work out the payout from the forward contract in each of the 2 states ("high underlier price" and "low underlier price").-Work out a "replicating portfolio" which has the same payouts as the forward contract in both states.-Note that
nickoh
Hi all,

I'm having issues with a question regarding forward contract values.

Basically here is the question:

The risk free rate is 10%
Underlier is currently trading at \$100
It is expected to trade at either \$90 or \$120 at the end of the period.
The forward asset price in the contract is \$110

I need to find the no-arbitrage value of a forward contract on the underlier.

----

I'm stumped for a number of reasons. I can't seem to work out how to deal with the two probabilities of the end of period prices (\$90 and \$120).

I get that 10% x 100 = \$110, which is the risk-free growth expected at the end of the period.

I believe that to find the value of the forward contract I would do this:

Traded value at end of period - Actual value at end of period.

How do I go about doing this question? I literally can't even get a start. I'm looking at theory from my book, but it doesn't seem to deal with multiple trading price probabilities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the "no arbitrage price" is the price of a hypothetical portfolio which has the same payoffs as the contract you are trying to value.

To work it out you will follow 3 steps:
1) Work out the payout from the forward contract in each of the 2 states ("high underlier price" and "low underlier price"

2) Work out a "replicating portfolio" which has the same payouts as the forward contract in both states

3) Note that the price of the "replicating portfolio" must be the no-arbitrage price of the forwar contract.

Step 1:
You said "The forward gives an asset price of £100". That doesn't mean anything to me, but I assume it gives you an obligation to sell the underlier at £100. The payoff from the forward in the two states is therefore:

"Low" underlier price: Payoff = £100 - £90 = £10
"High" underlier price: Payoff = £100 - £120 = -£20Step 2
We will construct a portfolio of cash (x) and the underlier (y) which has the same payoffs as above. In 1 period, the cash will accumulate to 1.1x. The underlier will be worth y * price.

Low scenario: 1.1x + 80y = 10
High scenario: 1.1x + 120y = -20Solve these simultaneously to get
y=0.25
x= -9.0909

T he current price of the underlier is £100. So the value of the replicating portfolio today is 100y + x= 0.25*100 - 9.09 = £15.909

Step 3
Hence the answer is £15.91

(comment: perhaps the forward is an obligation to buy the underlier rather than sell it, then the answer would be positive).

FAQ: Valuing a Forward Contract with Multiple Trading Price Probabilities

1. What is a forward contract?

A forward contract is a financial instrument that allows two parties to agree to buy or sell an asset at a predetermined price and date in the future. It is an agreement between a buyer and a seller to exchange an asset at a specified price and date in the future, regardless of the current market price.

2. How is the value of a forward contract determined?

The value of a forward contract is determined by the difference between the current market price of the underlying asset and the price specified in the contract. If the current market price is higher than the contract price, the contract has a positive value, and if the current market price is lower than the contract price, the contract has a negative value.

3. What factors affect the valuation of a forward contract?

There are several factors that can affect the valuation of a forward contract, including the current market price of the underlying asset, the time to maturity of the contract, the risk-free interest rate, and any expected dividends or storage costs associated with the underlying asset.

4. How is the risk of a forward contract managed?

The risk of a forward contract can be managed through hedging strategies, such as using options contracts to offset potential losses. Additionally, the parties involved in a forward contract can monitor and adjust the contract price or underlying asset to minimize risk.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using forward contracts?

The advantages of using forward contracts include the ability to lock in a price for an asset and potentially benefit from a favorable market movement. However, the disadvantages include the potential for losses if the market moves against the contract and the lack of flexibility to change the terms of the contract once it is established.