Vander Wall Gas Thermometer: Ideal Gas Law and Triple Point Calibration

• Thread starter completenoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses a constant volume gas thermometer and the behavior of gas described by the ideal gas law and the van der Waals equation. The thermometer is calibrated at the triple point of water and the question asks about the error in temperature measurement at 100 C. The conversation also discusses the effect of molecule size on the attractive and repulsive forces in the van der Waals equation.
completenoob

Homework Statement

A constant volume gas thermometer of volume V contains n amount of moles of gas. Assume the gas obeys the ideal gas law pv=nRt. The behavior is better described by:
[tex] \left(p+a\frac{n^2}{V^2}\right)\left(\frac{V}{n}-b\right)=RT [/tex]
a=0.1, b=3e^-5. The thermometer is calibrated at the triple point of water. How much will the temp measure in error at 100 C?

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

I must be misinterpreting something. Do they mean error of the former with respect with the later?
Do I plug in temp for Vander, find pressure, plug that in for ideal gas law and find the temp?
The error being the difference between 100C-T(ideal)?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I remember this the constant volume gas thermometer takes a series of readings and graphically extrapolates these to a zero pressure where the the gas is theoretically perfectly ideal.Therefore I think that with this example the ordinary ideal gas equation gives the most accurate answer.

But it even says explicitly that the behavior is better described by:Vander Wals.
My question still stands: Do they want me to find the error by finding the pressure in Vanders, plug that into the ideal gas equation and get a temperature? Then get the error?

Van der Waals is a much better approximation of how real gases behave but his equation approaches the ideal equation as P tends to zero.If the thermometer was used to take just one set of readings then van der waals would give the most accurate answer.If , however, the extrapolation technique I referred to was used then both equations would give the same and most accurate answer.Your question is a little unclear but I think they want you to assume that 100 degrees is the most accurate answer and they want you to plug values into vans equation to find T.

Thanks for the response Dadface. But What would I plug into p? I would have two unknows: p and T.
Yah I know, the question they stated is kind of vague.

I think they want you to express the error in terms of P and V.Try multiplying out the brackets in vans equation and take it from there.

In fact multiplying out is probably not necessary.use vans equation, plug in the values you have and re arrange to get T

You can figure out what V/n is (from van der Waal's equation) if you know P and T at the triple point.

Knowing V/n, you can figure out P (again from vdW eqn) when T=100C.

completenoob said:
Thanks for the response Dadface. But What would I plug into p? I would have two unknows: p and T.
Yah I know, the question they stated is kind of vague.
increase the size of molecule

FAQ: Vander Wall Gas Thermometer: Ideal Gas Law and Triple Point Calibration

1. What is a Vander Wall Gas Thermometer?

A Vander Wall Gas Thermometer is a type of thermometer used to measure temperature based on the volume of a gas confined in a chamber. It follows the principles of the Ideal Gas Law and is used to calibrate other thermometers.

2. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

3. How is the Vander Wall Gas Thermometer calibrated?

The Vander Wall Gas Thermometer is calibrated using the triple point of a substance, which is the temperature at which a substance exists in equilibrium between its solid, liquid, and gas phases. This point is used as a fixed temperature reference and can be accurately reproduced in a laboratory setting.

4. Why is the Vander Wall Gas Thermometer considered more accurate than other thermometers?

The Vander Wall Gas Thermometer is considered more accurate because it is based on the principles of the Ideal Gas Law, which allows for precise and reproducible measurements. It is also calibrated using the triple point, which is a fixed reference point and eliminates errors caused by varying atmospheric pressure or impurities in the substance being measured.

5. What are some common applications of the Vander Wall Gas Thermometer?

The Vander Wall Gas Thermometer is commonly used in scientific research and industrial settings for precise temperature measurements. It is also used as a reference standard for calibrating other thermometers, such as liquid-in-glass or digital thermometers, to ensure their accuracy.