Vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators?

In summary: but the second integrand here is always negative, so you can flip the sign of p without changing the value of the integral.
ramparts
In David Tong's QFT notes (http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf p. 43, eqn. 2.89) he shows how the commutator of a scalar field [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] and [tex]\phi(y)[/tex] vanishes for spacelike-separated 4-vectors x and y, establishing that the theory is causal. For equal time, [tex]x^0=y^0[/tex], the commutator is given by:

[tex] [\phi(x),\phi(y)] = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}} (e^{i \vec{p}\cdot(\vec{x}-\vec{y})} - e^{-i \vec{p}\cdot(\vec{x}-\vec{y})}) [/tex]

He says that this vanishes because "we can flip the sign of [tex]\vec{p}[/tex] in the last exponent as it is an integration variable." What does he mean here?

I think I see how something equivalent can be done by Lorentz transforming the (x-y) in the second exponent to -(x-y), since it's just a change of coordinates, but I'm not sure why you can do that in one exponent without doing it in the other, and why Tong says you can also flip the sign of p because it's being integrated over.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the integral into (integral 1) - (integral 2). To see that you can flip the sign of p in the second integral think about the one dimensional case first:

[tex]\int_{- \infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} f(-x) dx[/tex]

Gah. That's ridiculously simple. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Well, just to make sure I'm getting it right... the trick is in the fact that the integrals are both taken over -infinity to infinity, so you can flip the sign of the integrated variable without changing the value of the integral, yeah?

Thanks a ton.

Yeah. It doesn't matter "which way" you integrate along the axis. In general of course you have

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_{-b}^{-a} f(-x) dx[/tex]

FAQ: Vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators?

What is the vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators?

The vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators is a property in quantum field theory where the commutator of two operators at different points in spacetime is equal to zero. This means that the two operators do not affect each other's measurements and are considered to be independent.

Why is the vanishing commutator important in quantum field theory?

The vanishing commutator is important in quantum field theory because it allows us to define causality in the theory. If the commutator did not vanish for spacelike-separated operators, it would mean that events at different points in spacetime could influence each other, which goes against the principles of causality.

Do all operators have a vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators?

No, not all operators have a vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators. Only operators that commute with the Hamiltonian, or energy operator, have this property. This is known as the local commutativity condition.

How is the vanishing commutator related to the uncertainty principle?

The vanishing commutator is related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision. The vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators ensures that these properties are independent and do not affect each other's measurements, thus upholding the uncertainty principle.

What are the implications of the vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators in quantum field theory?

The vanishing commutator for spacelike-separated operators has significant implications for the structure and behavior of quantum field theory. It allows for the formulation of causality and the preservation of the uncertainty principle, which are essential principles in our understanding of the quantum world. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum field theories and their applications in various fields of physics.