Vanishing wronskian for linearly independent solutions

In summary: And that's what I did here.In summary, we showed that \( y_1=x^3 \) and \(y_2=|x|^3 \) are linearly independent solutions of the differential equation \( x^2y''-4xy'+6y=0\) on the interval \((-\infty,\infty) \). We also showed that \( W(y_1,y_2)=0 \) for every real number x, which violates the theorem about the Wronskian. This is because \(a_2(x)=x^2\) is equal to zero when x=0 in the given interval, making one of the conditions for the theorem not satisfied. Additionally, we discussed the definition of
issacnewton
Hi I am trying to do this problem. Verify that \( y_1=x^3 \) and \(y_2=|x|^3 \) are linearly independent solutions of the diff. equation
\( x^2y''-4xy'+6y=0\) on the interval \((-\infty,\infty) \). Show that \( W(y_1,y_2)=0 \) for every real number x.

I could actually show the above by splitting the interval for \( x>0 \) ,\( x=0 \) and \( x<0 \). Now there is theorem about the wronskian. The set of
solutions \(y_1,y_2,\cdots,y_n \) is linearly independent on \( I\) iff \( W(y_1,y_2,\cdots,y_n)\neq 0 \) for every x in the interval. But in this problem,
\( W(y_1,y_2)=0 \) for every real number x. So the reason for this is that , we have \( a_2(x)=x^2 \) , which is zero when x=0 in the given interval. So
one of the conditions for the theorem is not satisfied here. Thats why we get weird behavior here. Is my reasoning correct ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to split the interval into three pieces. Just differentiate your functions there (note that $d|x|/dx=\text{sgn}(x)=x/|x|=|x|/x$) and plug them into the DE. As for linear independence, I think you might be able to do that from the definition.

ackbach, on second look at my work I see that I have not really done the problem correctly. I tried to use the approach suggested by you in the second line. But for \( y_2=|x|^3 \), when I plug this into the diff. equation, the second derivative of \(y_2 \) gives second derivative of \( |x| \), which doesn't cancel out, so I don't get zero . As for linear independence, consider the equation \( c_1 x^3 + c_2 |x|^3=0 \). How do I show that
\( c_1=c_2=0 \). ?

Hmm. Let me see here. We have the following:

\begin{align*}
y_{2}&=|x|^{3}\\
y_{2}'&=3|x|^{2}\,\frac{x}{|x|}=3x|x|,\quad\text{ for }x\not=0\\
y_{2}''&=3\left(|x|+x\,\frac{|x|}{x}\right)=6|x|.
\end{align*}

You can see here that I'm using whichever form of $d|x|/dx$ I want for convenience. Also note that the function is not differentiable at the origin. Plugging this into the DE yields
$$x^{2}(6|x|)-4x(3x|x|)+6|x|^{3}=-6x^{2}|x|+6|x|^{3}.$$
What can you say about this expression? Don't forget that $|x|\equiv\sqrt{x^{2}}$.

As for linear independence, plug in, say, $x=1$ to get one equation, and $x=-1$ to get another. Solve.

thanks for detailed explanation. About the constants c1 and c2 , I have a question. Why did you choose particular values of x to solve for them. We need to prove that \(c_1=c_2=0\) for all
x in \((-\infty,\infty) \).

IssacNewton said:
thanks for detailed explanation. About the constants c1 and c2 , I have a question. Why did you choose particular values of x to solve for them. We need to prove that \(c_1=c_2=0\) for all
x in \((-\infty,\infty) \).

Hmm. Well, that's a good question. The definition of linearly dependent functions, according to MathWorld, is that two functions $f_{1}$ and $f_{2}$ are linearly dependent on $\mathbb{R}$ if there exists $c_{1}, c_{2}$, not both zero, such that $c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)=0$ for all $x\in\mathbb{R}$. We could write that in first-order logic as:

$((\exists c_{1})(\exists c_{2})(\forall x\in\mathbb{R})[((c_{1}\not=0)\lor(c_{2}\not=0)) \land (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)=0)]\implies f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly dependent.}$

The contrapositive gives us the definition of linearly independent functions:

$f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly independent }\implies \lnot \left\{(\exists c_{1})(\exists c_{2})(\forall x\in\mathbb{R})[((c_{1}\not=0)\lor(c_{2}\not=0)) \land (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)=0)]\right\}$

or

$f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly independent }\implies (\forall c_{1})\lnot \left\{(\exists c_{2})(\forall x\in\mathbb{R})[((c_{1}\not=0)\lor(c_{2}\not=0)) \land (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)=0)]\right\}$

or

$f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly independent }\implies (\forall c_{1})(\forall c_{2})\lnot \left\{(\forall x\in\mathbb{R})[((c_{1}\not=0)\lor(c_{2}\not=0)) \land (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)=0)]\right\}$

or

$f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly independent }\implies (\forall c_{1})(\forall c_{2})(\exists x\in\mathbb{R})\lnot \left\{[((c_{1}\not=0)\lor(c_{2}\not=0)) \land (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)=0)]\right\}$

or

$f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly independent }\implies (\forall c_{1})(\forall c_{2})(\exists x\in\mathbb{R})[\lnot((c_{1}\not=0)\lor(c_{2}\not=0)) \lor (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)\not=0)]$

or

$f_{1}\text{ and }f_{2}\text{ are linearly independent }\implies (\forall c_{1})(\forall c_{2})(\exists x\in\mathbb{R})[((c_{1}=0) \land (c_{2}=0)) \lor (c_{1}f_{1}(x)+c_{2}f_{2}(x)\not=0)].$

So what this is saying is that either $c_{1}=0$ and $c_{2}=0$, or the linear combination is not zero. Clearly, both cannot be true simultaneously. But you can see here, that because of the negation, the $\forall$ quantifier in the definition of linear dependence becomes the $\exists$ quantifier after negation for the definition of linear independence. So I don't need to prove this is true for all $x$.

When it comes to two functions, all you need to do is see if one of the functions is a constant multiple of the other. If they are, then they're linearly dependent. If they're not, then they're linearly independent.

Related to Vanishing wronskian for linearly independent solutions

1. What is the Wronskian for linearly independent solutions?

The Wronskian for linearly independent solutions is a mathematical concept used in differential equations. It is a determinant of a set of functions that are solutions to a particular differential equation. It is used to determine if the solutions to a differential equation are linearly independent.

2. Why is the Wronskian important in differential equations?

The Wronskian is important in differential equations because it can be used to determine if the solutions to a differential equation are linearly independent. If the Wronskian is non-zero, it means that the solutions are linearly independent and can be used to form a general solution to the equation. It is also used to check the consistency of solutions.

3. Can the Wronskian be used for any type of differential equation?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used for any type of differential equation, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and even systems of differential equations. It is a general mathematical tool for determining the linear independence of solutions.

4. What does it mean if the Wronskian is equal to zero?

If the Wronskian is equal to zero, it means that the solutions to the differential equation are linearly dependent. This means that one solution can be written as a linear combination of the other solutions. In this case, the Wronskian cannot be used to form a general solution to the equation.

5. How is the Wronskian calculated?

The Wronskian is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix formed by the solutions to the differential equation. The matrix is usually formed by writing the solutions as columns and taking derivatives of the solutions to fill the other rows. The result is a single value, which is the Wronskian.