Variance of square of random variable

In summary, to find the variance when rolling two fair dice and taking the sum of the square of each dice, the formula is VAR(A^2+B^2)=E(A^4)-E(A^2)^2+E(B^4)-E(B^2)^2, assuming that the dice are independent and have the same expectation values.
roflmao33

Homework Statement

Lets say I roll 2 fair dice and take the sum of the square of each dice. What formula will be the variance?

Homework Equations

var(x)=e(x^2)-e(x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For dice A;
E(A)=3.5
E(A^2)=91/6
^ same for dice B.

VAR(A^2+B^2)=E(A^4)-E(A^2)^2+E(B^4)-E(B^2)^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you get to that? I'd start from
[tex] var(A^2+B^2) = E((A^2+B^2)^2) - E((A^2+B^2))^2[/tex]

and simplify from there, though you'll probably end up at a similar place you need to justify it

well since i am throwing two different dice and squaring them, this means that they are independent, shouldn't I be able to use var(x+y)=var(x)+var(y)?

VAR(A^2+B^2)=E(A^4)-E(A^2)^2+E(B^4)-E(B^2)^2

yep, you just need to mention your assumptions, you can also say the expectation values will be the same for A & B

Related to Variance of square of random variable

1. What is the definition of variance of square of random variable?

The variance of square of random variable is a measure of how spread out the values of the squared random variable are from its mean. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each value and the mean of the squared random variable.

2. How is the variance of square of random variable related to the original random variable?

The variance of square of random variable is equal to the square of the standard deviation of the original random variable. This means that as the original random variable becomes more spread out, the variance of its square will also increase.

3. Why is it important to calculate the variance of square of random variable?

The variance of square of random variable is important because it helps to understand the variability of the squared random variable. It can also be used to make predictions and in statistical tests to determine the significance of results.

4. How is the variance of square of random variable affected by outliers?

Outliers, or extreme values, can greatly influence the variance of square of random variable. If there are a few extreme values in the data, the variance of square of random variable will be higher, indicating a larger spread of values.

5. Can the variance of square of random variable ever be negative?

No, the variance of square of random variable cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative value, meaning it can be equal to zero or a positive number. A negative value would not make sense in the context of measuring the spread of values.