Variance Problem: Calculating P(X1 > 90), E(Y), Var(Y) & P(Y>16*90)

• Thread starter superwolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variance
In summary, X1, X2, ..., X16 are independent and normally distributed with a mean value of 80 and a variance of 18^2. Let Y = X1 + X2 + ... + X16. We can calculate the following:i) The probability that X1 is greater than 90 is 0.288.ii) The expected value of Y is 1280.iii) The variance of Y is 5184.iv) The probability that Y is greater than 16*90 is 0.013. These calculations assume normal distribution and require independence. However, (ii) and (iii) only require normal distribution, while (i) and (iv) require both
superwolf
X1, X2,...,X16 are independent and normally distributed, where mean value is 80 and variance is 18^2. Let Y = X1 + X2 + ... + X16. Calculate

i) P(X1 > 90)

ii) E(Y)

iii) Var(Y)

iv) P(Y>16*90)

i) 0.288, easy

ii) E(Y) = 16*80 = 1280

iii) Var(Y) = Var(16*Var(X)) = 16^2 * 18^2 (WRONG!)

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
X1+...+Xn is not the same as n*X

Use Var(a1*X1+...+an*Xn)=a1^2*Var(X1)+...+an^2*Var(Xn) with ai=1 for all i.

Brilliant! Would any of

P(X1>90) = 0.288

E(Y) = 1280

Var(Y) = 5184

P(Y>16*90) = 0.013

be correct without assuming normal distribution, but still assuming independence?

(ii) and (iii) don't require normal. (ii) doesn't even require independence, but (iii) does.

(i) and (iv) require normal.

And which of them requires independence?

superwolf said:
And which of them requires independence?

(iii) and (iv)

FAQ: Variance Problem: Calculating P(X1 > 90), E(Y), Var(Y) & P(Y>16*90)

1. What is the difference between P(X1 > 90) and P(Y > 90)?

The first term, P(X1 > 90), refers to the probability that a random variable X1 will have a value greater than 90. The second term, P(Y > 90), refers to the probability that a different random variable Y will have a value greater than 90. These two probabilities may be different depending on the distribution of the variables.

2. How do you calculate P(X1 > 90)?

To calculate P(X1 > 90), you need to know the distribution of the random variable X1. Then, you can use a formula or a table to find the probability associated with a value greater than 90. This will give you the probability of X1 being above 90.

3. What is E(Y)?

E(Y) is the expected value or mean of a random variable Y. It represents the average value that Y is likely to take on over many trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible value of Y by its corresponding probability and then summing up all of these values.

4. How do you calculate Var(Y)?

Var(Y) is the variance of a random variable Y, which measures how much the values of Y vary from the mean. To calculate it, you need to know the distribution of Y and its expected value. Then, you can use a formula or a table to find the variance of Y.

5. What does P(Y > 16*90) represent?

P(Y > 16*90) represents the probability that the random variable Y will have a value greater than 16 times 90. This can be thought of as the likelihood of an event occurring where the value of Y is much larger than 90.

Back