Variation of a Functional with Boundary Conditions

In summary, the functional derivative of the functional S(a, b) with respect to the variation α is equal to the integral of -ra'(r)η(r) over the range from 0 to ∞, which implies that a'(r) = 0 and therefore a = constant. Since the boundary condition a(∞) = 1, a(r) must equal 1.
Whitehole

Homework Statement

Consider the functional ##S(a,b) = \int_0^∞ r(1-b)a' \, dr ## of two functions ##a(r)## and ##b(r)## (with ##a' = \frac{da}{dr}##). Find the ##a(r)## and ##b(r)## that extremize ##S##, with boundary conditions ##a(∞) = b(∞) = 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find ##b(r)##, my problem is ##a(r)##. This is what I've done,

##δS = \int_0^∞ r(1-η)a' \, dr = \int_0^∞ ra' \, dr + \int_0^∞ ra'η \, dr##
where ##η## is the variation in ##b##.

Can I say that since both terms should be ##0## so for the right term, since ##η## is arbitrary ##a' = 0## which implies the left term is also zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whitehole said:

Homework Statement

Consider the functional ##S(a,b) = \int_0^∞ r(1-b)a' \, dr ## of two functions ##a(r)## and ##b(r)## (with ##a' = \frac{da}{dr}##). Find the ##a(r)## and ##b(r)## that extremize ##S##, with boundary conditions ##a(∞) = b(∞) = 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find ##b(r)##, my problem is ##a(r)##. This is what I've done,

##δS = \int_0^∞ r(1-η)a' \, dr = \int_0^∞ ra' \, dr + \int_0^∞ ra'η \, dr##
where ##η## is the variation in ##b##.
I could be way off-base here, but isn't ##dS = \frac{\partial S}{\partial a} \cdot da + \frac{\partial S}{\partial b} \cdot db##?
The two partial derivatives above are the partials of S(a, b), one with respect to a and the other with respect to b.
Whitehole said:
Can I say that since both terms should be ##0## so for the right term, since ##η## is arbitrary ##a' = 0## which implies the left term is also zero?

Mark44 said:
I could be way off-base here, but isn't ##dS = \frac{\partial S}{\partial a} \cdot da + \frac{\partial S}{\partial b} \cdot db##?
The two partial derivatives above are the partials of S(a, b), one with respect to a and the other with respect to b.

##S## is a functional, not a function. In the expression, ##a## and ##b## are not numbers, they are functions. As such the derivatives should be functional derivatives and not partial ones. Still, the variation with respect to ##b## is not done correctly.

Orodruin said:
##S## is a functional, not a function. In the expression, ##a## and ##b## are not numbers, they are functions. As such the derivatives should be functional derivatives and not partial ones. Still, the variation with respect to ##b## is not done correctly.
Should it be ##δb(r) = (b(r + η(r)) - b(r)) = b'(r)η(r)##? So that ##δS = \int_0^∞ r(1-b'η)a' \, dr##?

Whitehole said:
Should it be ##δb(r) = (b(r + η(r)) - b(r)) = b'(r)η(r)##? So that ##δS = \int_0^∞ r(1-b'η)a' \, dr##?
No, I suggest you start from the definition of the functional derivative

Orodruin said:
No, I suggest you start from the definition of the functional derivative
##S(a,b) = \int_0^∞ f(b, a', r) \, dr = \int_0^∞ r(1-b)a' \, dr, \quad b = b(r) + αη(r)##

##\frac{dS}{dα} = \int_0^∞ \frac{∂f(b(r) + αη(r),~ a(r),~ r)}{∂α}~dr = \int_0^∞ r(-η)a'(r)~dr = -~ \int_0^∞ ra'(r)η(r)~dr = 0##

This implies ##a'(r) = 0##

Right, and therefore ...

Orodruin said:
Right, and therefore ...
##a = constant## but from the boundary condition, ##a(∞) = 1##, so ##a(r) = 1##. Thanks!

Related to Variation of a Functional with Boundary Conditions

1. What is a "variation of a functional"?

A variation of a functional is a small change or perturbation made to a mathematical function or mapping. It is used in the field of calculus of variations to study how a functional changes in response to small changes in its input function.

2. Why is variation of a functional important?

Variation of a functional is important because it allows us to find the optimal or most efficient function that satisfies certain conditions. In many real-world applications, such as engineering or economics, finding this optimal function can lead to significant improvements or cost savings.

3. How is variation of a functional calculated?

Variation of a functional is calculated using the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a second-order differential equation that describes the behavior of a functional. This equation takes into account the function, its derivative, and the boundary conditions to determine the optimal function that minimizes the functional.

4. What are some applications of variation of a functional?

Variation of a functional has many applications, including optimizing the shape of a bridge or building for structural stability, finding the shortest path for a robot to move from one point to another, and determining the most efficient way to distribute resources in an economic system.

5. Is variation of a functional related to derivatives?

Yes, variation of a functional is closely related to derivatives. In fact, the Euler-Lagrange equation used to calculate variation of a functional is similar to the equation used to find derivatives in single variable calculus. However, variation of a functional involves optimizing entire functions rather than just finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.