Variation of Gambler's ruin problem

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the conversation was about a variation of the Gambler's ruin problem where the gambler plays until he either reaches a target balance or goes bankrupt, or until a certain number of bets has been placed. The formula for calculating the probability of going bankrupt in this scenario was discussed, along with the boundary conditions. The solution to this problem was also mentioned, which can be found in a research paper titled "Gambler's ruin in finite time".
LAHLH
Hi,

In the usual Gambler's ruin problem one calculates the probability of reaching some target balance N before going broke, given that one starts with holdings of 'h', and given that on each bet he either increases or decreases his balance by +/-1. See http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath084/kmath084.htm for an excellent discussion.

I'd like to do something similar to this but slightly different, instead of assuming the gambler plays indefinitely until he reaches target balance N or goes bankrupt, I'd like assume the gambler plays until he either goes bankrupt, or has placed 'n' bets (as opposed to reaching some target balance N).

For example, the gambler starts with 100, he plans to play until he either goes bankrupt or has placed n=45 bets at which point he will stop. What's the probability the he will go bankupt before having placed these 45 bets? (each bet will raise or lower his balance by +/-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
I *think* if [itex] P_{hn} [/itex] is the probability of going bankrupt given current holdings of 'h' and given the gambler has 'n' bets to place. Must obey the 2-dimensional recursion relation:

[itex] P_{hn}=\alpha P_{(h+1,n-1)}+(1-\alpha)P_{(h-1,n-1)} [/itex] where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is the probability of a bet winning. The boundary conditions would then be [itex] P_{0n}=1 [/itex] (already bankrupt), and [itex] P_{h0}= 0 [/itex] (for nonzero h, given that no bets left, no chance of bankruptcy).

I have no clue how to obtain the solution of this though.

I found the answer here if anyone is interested: http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~blakehunter/Masters.pdf it's called the "Gambler's ruin in finite time"...turned out to be a much more complicated calc than I had imagined..

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Variation of Gambler's ruin problem

1. What is the Gambler's ruin problem?

The Gambler's ruin problem is a mathematical concept that models the probability of a gambler losing all of their money when playing a game of chance with a fixed probability of winning.

2. How does variation affect the Gambler's ruin problem?

Variation in the Gambler's ruin problem refers to changing the parameters of the game, such as the initial amount of money and the probability of winning. This can greatly affect the outcome of the problem and the probability of the gambler losing all their money.

3. What are the different types of variations in the Gambler's ruin problem?

The two main types of variations in the Gambler's ruin problem are discrete and continuous. Discrete variation involves a fixed number of trials and outcomes, while continuous variation assumes an infinite number of trials and allows for any possible outcome.

4. How is the Gambler's ruin problem useful in real-life situations?

The Gambler's ruin problem can be used to model various real-life situations, such as gambling, investment decisions, and risk management. It can help individuals make more informed decisions by understanding the probability of losing all their money in a given situation.

5. What are the limitations of the Gambler's ruin problem?

One limitation of the Gambler's ruin problem is that it assumes the gambler has a fixed amount of money and does not take into account external factors such as borrowing or earning more money. It also assumes that the game is fair and does not consider the possibility of cheating or biased outcomes.